Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you would be giving up if you dumped the BB?

I think for "normal" players, and I am reading that as not too skilled post flop, having a good folding heuristic would help. Top two is not it, though. I think, as Peter suggested, it has to take into account the number of people in the pot, and probably the action on the flop. (Since they are in the blinds, they will be checking, and there is a big difference between UTG betting and getting 4 callers and it getting checked to the button who bets). Of course, it still has to be simple enough so that a normal player can use it.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Sounds like how I play NL25 from every position.

B
Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as they find themselves ending up playing many easily dominated hands that make second best a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning how to play post-flop with such small marginal holdings would be very useful.

For example, typical mid-limit game you have 9-6 offsuit in BB and checked around to you and you check.

Flop comes 9-2-5 two suited. So you have TP bad kicker.

1. How many people limped?
2. Do you think you should check, see how the action goes when it comes back to you? Or should you bet and then see how the action progresses provided you believe you have the best hand?

As the hand progresses, the pot size gets bigger which will influence your decision on how you should play your hand and whether or not you should fold/call/raise.

Clearly folding a hand like this to 1 bet on the flop is not a very good strategy, even though at times you could be dominated.

Matador, there is also a flaw with your thinking here on a root level. You are looking for excuses to fold and avoid playing marginal hands, while you should be looking for excuses to maximize your EV and potential winnings instead.

Waiting to flop 2 pair or better in the BB is not optimal strategy for any player average or otherwise.

Lawrence