Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: 3/6 big pot - bad luck?

HISTORICALLY I would limp here with 22-88 and raise with 99-AA. This is straight out of SSHE.

Do you think limping here is a BIG mistake? If so could you please explain.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 AM

that was TOTALLY a friendly... "3-bet the muthaf'ckin' turn, biotch!"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 02:21 AM

ha...whatever much learned from this hand. I'll start playing my strong hands a lot faster, although I will probably continue limping with this hand unless i'm in CO or button.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 AM

no... it's close, but i think raising is preferable... it probably doesn't make a heckuva lot of difference... but it's pretty standard for me.

if in this position i'd tend to limp 77 (and sometimes raise), and probably limp 66 and lower, and definitely raise 99 and up... whether to raise or limp with 88 is not terribly important.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HISTORICALLY I would limp here with 22-88 and raise with 99-AA. This is straight out of SSHE.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a big mistake. Lots of things could make me limp here, not the least of which is the caller in front of me. First in I would probably raise without a read on the texture of the table. Thoughts?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 AM

i hope you mean "i'll continue limping with this hand AFTER OTHER LIMPERS unless i'm in CO or button" because you should DEFINITELY expand your raising w/ 88 if you're first in beyond the CO by at least two more positions.

if you really find it uncomfortable, work on it. and ignore this if you're typically raising most hands you'd limp with when first in from MP2-->later (table conditions dependent, obviously)
Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ha...whatever much learned from this hand. I'll start playing my strong hands a lot faster, although I will probably continue limping with this hand unless i'm in CO or button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inclined to raise this in MP3 than I am on the Button. In the CO I'm definitely raising.

What advantages do you think are conferred to you by limping with this hand here?

Rob
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 AM

You do have good reason to raise here 88 is:
a] a solid hand with good position
b] favors well multiway or against very few opponents
This hand against 3-4 works the least. You are either looking to hit a set against many people or have it stand up against 1-2 people. For these reasons after there is only one limper you should raise this hand... Im pretty sure thats how all this works at least.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a big mistake. Lots of things could make me limp here, not the least of which is the caller in front of me. First in I would probably raise without a read on the texture of the table. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy easy raise first in (I'm raising 77+ in MP1+ here, unless table texture dictates otherwise), and a pretty easy raise with a limper.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where I'd limp with this hand here. It's more likely with 2-3 limpers that I'd overlimp, I think, but with 1 limper I want position, initiative, and (obviously) to get money in with what is very likely to be the best hand.

Rob
Old 02-22-2005, 02:30 AM

First in, raising from MP3 I can definately see the advantage. But after a limper, i'm basically just playing for a set with the possibility of CO-BB calling. I don't think raising with 88 after a limper has a ton of advantages, I mean there are 6 overcards to my pair. In CO/button, i'm probably either raising either if i'm first in or there are 3-4 limpers in front.