Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2002, 09:32 PM

Default A simple question

The game (full - 50-100) was as tight as I'd ever seen it, and less aggressive than usual. I was playing tight because my hands had been telling me to fold ever since sitting down two hours earlier. I was getting blinded to death, down almost five big bets on the blinds alone.

UTG I catch 66. What do I do? Given the nature of this particular game and my own image at the moment I thought the big blind, who normally enjoys defending, would fold much of the time holding less than stellar cards. But countering my present image six of the players at the table were regulars and knew I was not a stranger to limp-reraising (not that I intended to limp-reraise here but they didn't know this of course.)

So what should I do with out of position 66 in such a game? Limp, raise or fold?

If I limp, how many raises should I call if it comes to that? If I open-raise, how many reraise should I call?
Old 11-28-2002, 10:02 PM

Default Re: A simple question

I would fold that hand UTG in most all games, with the exception of limping with it in loose passive games. Especially since you said the BB liked to defend I think you have an easy fold here. If the game was tough, if anybody came, it would more than likely get raised behind you, and you would be stuck holding a reletively weak hand no matter what the flop was unless you hit your set. I would do the same thing with 77 and possible even 88 if the game was that tight.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:58 AM

I agree Gaylord, the question being asked is at what point do I change my game strategy. This is the classic question of someone tilting (been there, done that). This is a clear fold, stay with your game plan and work your way threw the bad run of cards.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:25 AM

First a disclaimer: The highest I've paid is 15-30 (Canadian!).

The best play is to fold. Although the game conditions you describe do increase the possibility of picking up the blinds, I think that this is still outweighed by the times you will be punished by a better hand or outplayed because of your bad position.

I would not call. The game is too tight and you won't get the number of callers you need.

I view raising as a slightly negative play. So if I wanted to play the hand, that is what I would do. And after not seeing decent cards for a long time I would want to play 66!