Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Default The Hammer!

Should I have raised out preflop out of the small blind?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button folds.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 02-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: The Hammer!

Some players probably always will, and it certainly wouldn't be incorrect. ATo is one of the borderline hands for me in that situation. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If it was suited then definitely.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM

be more inclined to raise hands like this if it's suited. I'd raise A8s here with one more limper, and I'd raise ATo with one less limper, although raising here isn't terrible. One thing you have to know is, if BB calls your pf raise (and rest call), there is nothing wrong with check-folding a bad flop.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 PM

I think this should be raised until your opponent proves he will limp with something better.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:03 PM

I agree its the borderline hand to raise or not.

The only definitive difference I'd play this hand is to check-raise on the Flop. If the player to your left bets, then it doesn't help as much, but if it isn't until the 2nd or 3rd player to bet, then you've helped yourself out. You don't want a combination of K,Q,J calling you between the 3 players without paying for it.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only definitive difference I'd play this hand is to check-raise on the Flop. If the player to your left bets, then it doesn't help as much, but if it isn't until the 2nd or 3rd player to bet, then you've helped yourself out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure a bet from the left will make it harder to drive people out of the pot but they are trapped for another bet so you get more money in the pot while you are ahead. I don't see how this is bad.

IMO checkraising is a good plan here no matter where the bet is coming from as long - as long as you are reasonable sure it will come and won't be checked through.