Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 05:10 AM

Default is my \"new\" used pc specs good enuf 4 gt+,pt , and 4 tabling?

pc illiterate here bought a used pc at a benefit and wanted input on what i might invest in it to get the most out with the minimum to be invested.its a 4-6 year old gateway p4 1.4 ghz proc, 256mb rdram, dvd, cd+rw, 32mb video,dual ethernet, intel chipset mobo,250 watt p.supply,usb 1.1 , 56k modem. this is what a pc shop wrote down for me. any suggestions? i was told the ram is expensive for this particular pc but i might go to the 1 gig if needed and can find cheap enough. any suggestions? thanks people jeffs
Old 02-21-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: is my \"new\" used pc specs good enuf 4 gt+,pt , and 4 tabling?

I hope you aren't paying more than $200 for this computer.

RDRAM is more expensive and harder to come buy because its only used on Intel motherboards. Upgrading the processor will not be cost efficient. Video card could use an upgrade. Power supply is atrocious but you won't be able to do anything about it. Toss the modem.

I would not buy this thing and instead invest the money into a new computer.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 AM

If you clean it up and run windows 2k it should be fine.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 AM

You can stick WinXP on there as long as you get at least 512MB ram. 256MB really doesn't cut it.

Oh yeah, and RDRAM is expensive.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 AM

Windows 2k is overrated for consumer use. I would much prefer Windows 98se for this application.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 AM

Whaaaa?

There are so many problems / memory leaks with Win98SE. If OP runs his computer for an extended period of time he's better off with Win2k. I don't see any reason why Win98SE should be picked over Win2k except for compatibility issues.

I was able to run Win2k just fine on my old AMDK6-2 500Mhz. A 1.4Ghz can easily support WinXP.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 AM

I have always been a staunch advocate of Win98se for exactly that reason, compatibility issues. Much safer to recommend this OS to people than Win2k, or you may find yourself obligated to troubleshoot. Also of course you are right about the proc being able to handle XP, the RAM however presents a performance problem that negates the benefits of XP imho...
Old 02-21-2005, 08:47 AM

I have an AMD850 with 128MB RAM with 32MB video card running Win2K and can 4table Party with PT and GT+ fairly successfully. You may wish to add a DSL or cable modem but the rest is sufficient, if not great.

As for the operating system, you're probably stuck with what you got, hopefully Win98SE. Although if the computer shop did a fresh install maybe you can go back to them and get a different one. And did they give you an OS install disk in case you ever need to reinstall? If you do have a choice I can only relate my own recent experience in upgrading from SE to Windows 2000: I can multitable much more successfully now on several sites and PokerTracker and GT+ are now useable in more situations. And the upgrade was the smoothest windows upgrade I've ever done, although a working DSL connection to the Internet and the Microsoft upgrade site made it much easier as driver disks were never needed.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:27 AM

4 years old? I hope they are giving that away.

PCs are so cheap right now it is ridiculous. Dell has dirt cheap decent machines for under $400 right now.

You say you are PC illiterate, but do you know anyone who IS pc literate? If so, sit down with him, go over to newegg.com and view some wish lists - you can build a very nice PC without bells and whistles for under $400.

Gojacketz