Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Default So anyway......................

I posted this here so I wouldnt look like a (censored) If I had this all wrong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

I play party 2/4 and the weak part of my game is the pot odds/EV+/- pot equity, Honestly? this confuses the xxxx outta me.

Now onto my question to the experts:

Am I right in thinking that if you are at say $2/$4 and you are on the button facing an $8 bet because they have capped before you and UTG and UTG+1 will probably cap too.... so there is going to be at least $64 in the pot PF.... would you then pretty much call the $8 with anything because you now have "good equity/pot odds"?

Regards D
Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: So anyway......................

Not "anything." According to the guidelines in SSH you can play AA-QQ and AKs.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: So anyway......................

When you say 64 then I asume that you mean 64 with your money. Then you have to put in 8 dollar to have the chance to win 56. That mean your pot odds is 8:56 or 1:7. That mean that you have to have a hand that beat the other hands (great hands with all that acction preflop) 1 in 7 times. To call 4 betts cold then you need something like AA, KK, AKs maybe QQ because they have great hands.

But you can asume that there will be acction postflop so the implied odds will probably be preaty good here. Implied odds mean that you will probably win more than the $56 if you hit your hand and win because they will probably not fold right away. That mean with all this players in the pot then you can play some hands that is good multiway too if you are great a postflop player. Maybe KQs, AKs, AQs, QQ-99 if you hit set. The thing is that a pair will probably not win this pot and someone will probably have AA or KK when it is caped preflop. The winner hand will probably be something like a stright set fullhouse or flush. And if you have the best hand at the flop with toppair then you have great problems because they have the odds to draw to anything so they will very likley draw out on you at turn or river..

You play 2/4 and have problem with things like potodds?! Wow you do not think you play to high limit?! I am impressed if you have manage to win a over $1200 without know this things ( I assume that you have won your way up to 2/4 and that you have the 300BB bankroll for 2/4 that is the minimum to play poker at that limit without taking to big risks with your bankroll)... I am impressed!

Have fun!!!!