Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Check or bet this turn 15-30 Party

I'm not too good at this game and maybe this is a simple situation but I eff it up all the time. So help.

I don't have any data on this player and I just joined the table two hands ago.

I threebet a CO raiser with 55 from the button. Flop comes T63 with two clubs and I don't have one. Checkbetcall.

Turn is the K of clubs and it's checked to me. What's my plan for the rest of the hand?

-Michael
Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Check or bet this turn 15-30 Party

bet/muck or check/call imo
Old 02-20-2005, 09:30 AM

this is also opponenet dependant, but my default would be to bet, fold to a c/r and try to take a free showdown. you want to represent the K, and folding middle pairs is a coup.

I would check behind on turn only if I had opponent pegged as someone capable of c/raising the turn on a bluff (maybe 10-20% of opponents in the 15).
Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the reason I don't like checking here is because even if his opponent is behind, he has at least 13 outs to catch up (9 to a chop). logically, I understand what you're saying, but the fact that his opponent is ALWAYS drawing very live makes that a pretty scary free card to give, even if he's against someone who likes to bluff. I also think the times he makes his opponent fold a similar hand like a crubless 66 or 77 makes up for the times he folds to a guy with 4 overcard outs plus 9 to a chop (who owns about 20% of the pot anyway, and more if it's a hand like red QJ)
Old 02-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Bet, fold to a check-raise. Check through the river if he calls unless you improve.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:40 PM

preflop:

i'm all for mixing it up, but with no reads on anyone or a specific metagame strategy in mind, i think you are going uphill playing this small pair against a raise here, even in this spot with position.

why get involved? especially in a full game? if it was short-handed, yes you are going to have to start playing in these spots but i would watch a few rounds and get a line on how my opponents play and have specific reasons for putting alot of chips in the pot in marginal spots.

postflop: well you are headsup, with position, with a pair. i guess no one will be suprised my plan is to check behind on the turn and call a bet on the river
Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any data on this player and I just joined the table two hands ago.

I threebet a CO raiser with 55 from the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

I'd have folded this preflop. I wouldn't know enough about this player or the players behind me to want to try this yet.

b
Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, bet.

He'll potentially fold a few hands incorrectly like 77 without a club or something like AJ/AQ without a club that is drawing very live against you (10 outs). There's an outside chance that he check-raises with a worse hand but most of his check-raises will be legit and even his semibluffs will have a ton of outs against you anyway.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 PM

Alright guys, I didn't really want to discuss preflop, but I didn't expect advice to fold. I am surprised that people would do this. I would usually threebet from the SB with this hand, and the situation is FAR better here.

Sure you could make some sort of argument about being an 11-9 favorite at best and sometimes being in real trouble, but these situations don't run hot&cold; I'll frequently get my opponent to fold before the river, I'll occasionally get him to fold a better hand, and sometimes I'll hit a set and go off for a bunch of bets. The chance that both blinds fold to threebet is really high in this game, IMO. I think it's clearly wrong to fold this hand.

-Michael
Old 02-20-2005, 07:04 PM

I like the pf 3 bet and I bet that turn.