Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 PM

Default calling a PF reraise and then calling all-in on the flop

5.50 - 4 handed - blinds 15/30 (yes, 10 man and 4 handed at 15/30, one player went on a run that turned into a bloodbath)

Stacks (after posting blinds):
UTG: 4499
Hero: 1463
SB: 768
BB: 1225

I'm dealt Ah10h, pretty darn good hand PF 4 handed. UTG folds, I raise to 120, SB reraises to 210, BB folds, I think for a minute and call. He's been a fairly aggressive player, so I figure there's a good chance I'm up against a mid pocket pair or (more likely) KQ-KJ. Should I have called PF? In retrospect, probably not, your thoughts?

Pot: t450 Flop is - 7h8h6c
Alright, I've got a nut flush draw + two overs to the board + the nut gutshot. I bet t350, assuming I would take it down there, and get reraised all-in. At this point, I'm figuring either a very big hand (qq-aa) or AK-AQ going all-in figuring it's still good - this play had been done at the table several times before already. Maybe a set I guess.

His stack was only pot sized before my bet on the flop so I would have pretty much had to call him no matter what with my outs on that flop (all outs for flush probably live, 9 outs, +3 for the straight, maybe 3 for a pair of tens if he's bluffing w/ a big ace).
Old 02-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: calling a PF reraise and then calling all-in on the flop

I'd fold preflop. Instead of raising, that is. Blinds are absolutely tiny, you don't really need to get involved with ATs. Wait for a better spot.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop. Instead of raising, that is. Blinds are absolutely tiny, you don't really need to get involved with ATs. Wait for a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh, that never even occurred to me.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:51 PM

There are arguments to be made for any choice, but I personally would limp and call a small raise.

On the flop, with 450 in there PF you're not folding even if he flashes you aces.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 PM

I wouldn't have called the pre-flop raise, but whatever. He checked to you on the flop, and you have exactly 2 choices: allin or check. Since you don't believe he has AA (judging by your pre-flop call), you should push.

Betting 350 and letting him checkraise is terrible.

For what its worth, I'd raise to 90 pre-flop and probably fold to a raise.