Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Ouch, just got my butt whipped by a LAG

I'm letting off some steam here and also asking for advice.

I just ran into the most aggressive player I've ever seen in my short poker career.

He played every hand, raised and reraised preflop 20%. He never let a flop go without a bet, and continued betting later streets until someone else showed aggression. If bet into or raised he would occasionally fold. I think his postflop play was decent when someone raised him.

He stole many pots by thinning the field with his preflop raises and then betting postflop when no one hit.

It was like this for the entire time I played at this limit table - around 100 hands.

I wasn't sure how to best adjust to this player. Preflop- I still played tight, but cold-called more than usual. And postflop play was difficult because third-pair or ace-high could be the best hand. I had to forget about the math and just play poker by feel.

When I did hit the flop I tried letting him do the betting for me and popping him on the river, but this guy was extremely lucky and beat me and everyone else most of the time. I laughed off the bad beats but had to leave when he beat my trip-aces.

I don't think I made many mistakes, but I probably payed him off more than I should have. Sometimes I played some of my fair to decent hands more aggressively than usual to try to punish him for being so loose. He never bluff-raised, so I think I should have folded some of my fair hands when he re-raised me.

I get tired of being pushed around by players like this and I want to raise them every chance I get. "He can't have two-pair this time!"

I usually like to play against LAGs like this. They've made up a large portion of my profit from poker. I guess I just have to suffer thru the occasional night from hell.

Any advice?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Ouch, just got my butt whipped by a LAG

There's nothing you can do about a LAG hitting every hand.. just beat him next time.

[ QUOTE ]
When I did hit the flop I tried letting him do the betting for me and popping him on the river,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure from the player description if this is the best approach. If he's willing to reraise a lot of bad hands on the flop/turn, give him that opportunity. But you said he played well postflop when raised, so your line might be best.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't sure how to best adjust to this player. Preflop- I still played tight, but cold-called more than usual. And postflop play was difficult because third-pair or ace-high could be the best hand. I had to forget about the math and just play poker by feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'd cold-call more than usual, but I'd definitely 3-bet more than usual when I have position, with hands like AJ, 88, 77, and KQs. You definitely want to isolate this player. I'd save the cold-calls for times when the pot is multiway.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I made many mistakes, but I probably payed him off more than I should have. Sometimes I played some of my fair to decent hands more aggressively than usual to try to punish him for being so loose. He never bluff-raised, so I think I should have folded some of my fair hands when he re-raised me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Ray Zee's article from this month's 2+2 magazine: Playing Against the Bully
Old 02-19-2005, 12:51 PM

tighten up preflop and checkraise for value when you hit. dont fold to scare cards.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Man, playing against a LAG is never a relaxing experience. You are either gonna make a lot or lose a lot. Just be comfortable with your inherent advantage and take your lumps when they come. I know it sucks.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:13 PM

If he's raising 20% of the flop....3 bet with hands you will normally play with. Don't adjust your strategy after the flop for him. Bet into him and 3 bet if you hit a flop. Bet out the turn, bet out the river.