Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 12:01 PM

Default I have hit Rock Bottom (my poker playing confidence that is)

Hi All,

For those of you who know and for those who don't (please do a search of my previous posts to get a full picture) this is a follow-up to my "commission coach" reports.

After my 15/30 debacle, (-275 BBs after 2 months of play) my plan was to regroup playing the 5/10 SH game and take another shot at the 15/30 game the start of February. This was going according to plan through most of January and then I hit a 300 BB downswing at it, eliminating most of my profits for the month.

February to date, has not gotten any better. (down another 200 BB for this month)

Couple these results with my stats from the 15/30 game and I have had my worst stretch of play since I have been playing online poker. Until, I started my "commission coach" play, I had never even experienced a losing month ever. (almost 2 years of play, over 400k hands total)

My poker playing confidence is at an all time low. I am starting to think this online game has evolved to such a point that I may now not be able to be a consistent winner at 5/10 or higher. The thought of going back to the 3/6 game and grinding out the profit is not one I am looking forward to.

I am really at a loss as to what step to take next. I do feel this online game has gotten much tougher over the past 6 months at all levels. There is a huge amount of multi-tablers out there (online pros wannabes like myself) who are making the game much more difficult, in that, on average, I do not have nearly the edge I once held over the typical online player. (I am maybe the typical online player now.)

I know this post is sounding like another whining loser post and I am sorry for this. I am just trying to to figure out my next step to this game....
Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: I have hit Rock Bottom (my poker playing confidence that is)

Well Ive seen you at the 5-10 a few times and you haven't had your A game. I hear everyone saying these games have goten tougher over the last 6 months, they're super soft now, I can't imagine seeing them any easier. Then again the 20-40 live is some serious softness as well. I don't play for a living, but I am putting in around 20k hands a month. the 15 does have some really good players that megatable, bt the 5-10 is gradeschool. Get back to your aggressive game, if you son;t have it for some reason, step back and chew up the 3-6 full to get the confidence back.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 PM

I agree Bunky. I see bad players everywhere I go. This especially includes the 5/10 SH and most of the time includes the 15/30. Sounds to me like the OP just isn't playing his best game and is going through a tough run of cards at the same time.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing a losing streak. It happens. I have exactly $123 in profit from my last 30,247 hands playing on Party affiliates. As luck would have it, my play on Pacific has been very profitable, so it evens-out a bit. However, it just points out that streaks can happen, and they can last a long time.

FWIW, I made a number of changes to my game after reading SSH and played terribly (and unprofitably) for about six weeks. It took me a long time to adapt a strategy that won for me again. I'm not blaming SSH. What I am saying is that you enlisted the help of another person who probably made a number of changes in your game and this may have had a serious impact on your overall winning percentage. It's not that the advice was bad, but it may not have worked well with your core game.

My advice would be to start over at $2/$4 or $3/$6 trying a very simple and tight A-B-C game without all the aggression that works at $15/$30. Start milking your good hands for what you can get, instead of running over the players and settling for a non-showdown pot. Sometimes it is better to make a bet or raise and then have the other player think they are still in the lead until the river.

Better luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 05:27 PM

hey sorry to hear things are going so poorly for you. Maybe you should post some stats here so people can analyze and maybe give you some suggestions as to what the problem is. You might just be on a very bad losing streak and it may come around. 500+ downswing is definately something to get alarmed about though.

I was one of the few people who mentioned that the 15/30 seems to getting tougher. That being said, I still think that the 15/30 players are absolutely terrible. There's so many donkeys there it's absolutely amazing. I think pound for pound they are the worst players on any given level.

If you're not beating PP 15/30 you should step back and really evaluate your game (are you too passive? too aggressive? not making the most out of your opportunities? too timid? not checkraising enough?) Post some stats.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I made a number of changes to my game after reading SSH and played terribly (and unprofitably) for about six weeks. It took me a long time to adapt a strategy that won for me again. I'm not blaming SSH. What I am saying is that you enlisted the help of another person who probably made a number of changes in your game and this may have had a serious impact on your overall winning percentage. It's not that the advice was bad, but it may not have worked well with your core game.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that if you made a lot of changes to your game after reading SSHE, then you weren't really ready for a 15/30 game to begin with.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:45 PM

keep your chin up brother, it always turns around.

remember all the money you've won at poker. you know it'll get better. just random lightning bolts [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 06:49 PM

This may sound simple, but given what you've said I'd fire my coach and either find a new one or work on your game on your own.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 PM

Default no offense.....

Ive played with u a few times... I had u pegged as a fish from day one...
Old 02-19-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: no offense.....

I've played with you at 5/10 and I don't have you as a fish. I have you as a TAG, stats seem pretty similar to all 2+2er SH players.

But I'm going through what you are going through so I don't feel qualified to comment on your play in general.