Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Default QQ how do I protect?

It was a dream turned nightmare with this LPP table. At least 5 callers every hand. Well, I think this is considered LPP because at least one player would call down and hit on every hand... no raising.

Villain is 54/0/0 over 46 hands with a net of +21BB. Villain is calling down every hand. Like taking candy from a baby or not.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Villain calls, CO calls, Button calls.

I feel as thought I am ahead at this point.

Flop: (13 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls, CO calls, Button calls.

I know I am ahead here. I figure I had to bet for value.

Turn: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Ayone holding a 3 missed? Coming down the home stretch.

River: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

I just know the Villain has a 4 at this point. These hands are the crux of my downswings!!!

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Villain has 4c As (three of a kind, fours).
Hero has Qc Qh (two pair, queens and fours).
Outcome: Villain wins 16 BB. </font>
Old 02-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: QQ how do I protect?

I would have made the crying call on the river too.

Prior to that, I don't think there's much else you can do. You don't want a street getting checked through. So you just bet for value and hope your hand holds up.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:31 PM

It's tough, you just have to keep betting. As you suspected you were in the lead, you must bet for value. These things happen. Looking into my PT database I see that I'm only winning about 57% of my showdowns when I have top pair, doesn't include hands won without showdown.

Your line was standard, i.e. you played the hand well.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:11 PM

In a game like this, relentless value betting is the focus rather than hand protection. It's not that you wouldn't like to protect, but it's very difficult to do so when the game is so passive post flop.

The upside is that this means your opponents are calling way too many bets. You should be opening up your pf play a la the SSH loose charts, epecially hands that like loose/passive pre- and post-flop play (e.g., suited connectors). And value bet, value bet, value bet. They're looking for any excuse to call.

You'll be run down a lot, but won't have to win too many pots to show a profit. Hang in there. It's all one long session.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be run down a lot, but won't have to win too many pots to show a profit. Hang in there. It's all one long session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice and very true. One night last week, I had won about 28% of my showdowns after 5 hours and I was up 30 big bets. I had won two gigantic pots so they balanced out all the suckouts.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Not much to do here, you played it correctly. Add Villain to your buddy list and sit at his table the next time you play. You'll get his money in the long run.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a game like this, relentless value betting is the focus rather than hand protection. It's not that you wouldn't like to protect, but it's very difficult to do so when the game is so passive post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ex-zak-a-tig-ly.