Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Default 22 UTG

There has been some recent discussion on here lately about playing 22 UTG. Who would call this coming back, with about 90:15 to call assuming everyone completes?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 22 UTG

fold preflop (the first time).

And I'm being serious.

Adam
Old 02-19-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
90:15

[/ QUOTE ]

That number will just confuse you at the table. Discount the SB because it's going to the rake anyway.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:59 PM

It's 16-3 which is 5.3-1. Make it 5-1 because sometimes the original PFR will fold. You are 7.5-1 to flop a set, so you will have to make up 7 SB post flop. Accounting for the times you make your set and lose to a higher set or straight or flush, you need to make an average of around 12 SB post flop I'd estimate. It's close but I'm folding. The negative implied odds of set over set or set vs flush along with your bad position make this a fold I think. Consider a normal distribution of how many SB you make post flop when you make your set and it holds up:

One caller all the way: 5 SB
Two callers all the way: 10 SB
One caller all the way with one BB raise: 7 SB
One caller all the way with two BB raises: 9 SB
Two callers all the way with one BB raise: 14 SB

Close but against two or three higher pocket pairs you really risk losing a lot against a higher set. So I'm folding.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:01 PM

This has always been a fold for me preflop, but after reading over the forum lately, I decided I'd add it and see how it works out. So obviously your in the fold PF field?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop (the first time).

And I'm being serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too
Old 02-19-2005, 02:15 PM

I don't think I was including the SB, if I complete and everyone else does, the pot is $104. I also left out, I was pretty sure UTG +1 would complete, he was very LAG
Old 02-19-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has always been a fold for me preflop, but after reading over the forum lately, I decided I'd add it and see how it works out. So obviously your in the fold PF field?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of this said discussion has related to MicroLimits, and possibly some 2/4.....maybe some 3/6.

Generally, 5/10 is an even more tight and aggressive. IMHO, you shouldn't be playing anything lower than 77 from EP's in most of the 5/10 games.

Adam
Old 02-19-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of this said discussion has related to MicroLimits, and possibly some 2/4.....maybe some 3/6.

Generally, 5/10 is an even more tight and aggressive. IMHO, you shouldn't be playing anything lower than 77 from EP's in most of the 5/10 games.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

good point
Old 02-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Your initial limp depends on the particular table texture at the time. In a typical Party $5/10 game I would not limp UTG w/ 22 because there is a very good chance of the pot being raised and me playing a small pocket pair our of position in a shorthanded pot. However, if you have a looser table then it is OK. Last night I played in a Party $5/10 game in which it would have been criminal not to limp from EP with any pocket pair.

Anywho, when it comes back to you capped I would cal and cross my fingers that I flop a set. If you do it will be very easy to make up the extra SBs that you need to as you may have two pocket pairs going to war on the flop and/or turn and it could take them a while to realize (if they do at all) they are both behind your set. With this much pre-flop activity there is a slightly greater risk of set over set even if you flop a two, but, hey, that's poker. I still thoink you have the implied odds to call. Now if the cap was 5 bets I would feel differently.