Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Short stack push from BB, good, standard or bad?

500 person MTT. Down to about 100. In the money at 50. Average is ~5000. Im at T1600. Big Blind is T200.

I have been card dead for last hour. Slowly blinding to death. No steal oppurtunities either. No reads to talk about.

ok. IM in BB with J9 hearts. After posting I have T1400. MP mini raises to T400. Button calls, SB folds. I call. Flop is (3,4,7) with 2 hearts. I open push for my remaining T1200.

Thoughts???

thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Short stack push from BB, good, standard or bad?

You don't state the size of MP's and button's stack, but I'll assume they have you strongly out-chipped. And I'd really like to know just a little about MP's raising standards ... what do you think a min raise from him means?

On that base I'm not crazy about your preflop call. You're getting 5:1 in a 3-way pot, but you're putting 15% of you stack in with a very mediocre hand, and you have to hit the flop hard to continue; if you really want to play J9s in this position you should consider a push, hoping to get it heads-up with the original raisor and at least having two live cards.

On the flop I like your move much better: you have two sure ways to win: either they fold or you hit your flush. You have no way of knowing if your J or 9 is live ... depending on the playing style of the original raisor he could hold AJ and easily call your all-in, and a loose player would call you holding KJ or even QJ or JT. So you have nine outs to the flush (unless one of the opponents was playing around with Axh) and probably shouldn't count more than 2 - 3 outs for your over-cards. 10 - 11 outs I'd give you.

Strictly speaking that's good enough. You're less than a 2:3 dog, if one of the other players call you're getting 2:1, and there's the chance of taking it down unchallenged.

I assume you got called and missed your flush (or someone had a higher flush), since the hand is here, but that doesn't make your push bad. I believe the problem is the preflop call.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 02-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Im sorry, its early in the morning and im brain dead. MP had over 8k, and button about 5K. Mini-raises were typical openings on this table. Otherwise no reads.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:56 PM

My thinking is this.

A) If I push I'm almost certain to get called by at least one them. Therefore I dont like the push as much. But,it's not horrible. I can wait for a better push during next orbit.

B) Folding leaves me with T1400 compared to T1200 if I call. Getting over 5 to 1. I felt a call was ok. Basically push any decent flop.

C) Lastly, and most importantly. I realize calling 15% of your stack is not ideal. But I felt that, even if i see this flop and fold, and then fold the SB i still have T1100 for this next orbit and try to double up, and I still have some folding equity if need be. maybe my thinking is flawed there.

results:
MP calls, Button folds. turn was 9 clubs. River was a useless heart! Giving MP an Ace high flush over my J high flush. He had AT hearts.