Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 07:32 PM

Default JJ in early position

Hi Everyone,

15/30 online 10 handed

I had JJ in 4rth position to the left of the button or UTG +1. All fold to me I raise preflop. A loose MP in 6th position 3 bets I call headsup pot.

flop [ 9c, 5d, Ks ]

I check he bets I raise he calls.

turn Kc

I bet he calls.

River Jc

I bet and he calls I take it down. He mucked AA.

My honest read of this hand would be I would not have bet the river had the jack not fallen, and that he was going for the check raise on the turn but got scared by the second king.

#1 Would you have bet the flop instead? He probably would have raised and then I would have check called or folded? or folded on the turn if he bet?

#2 My turn bet was for two reasons If I get checkraised I fold, AK AA or KK and I'm toast. 99 10 10 QQ, AQ or worse might fold. I didn't want to check call maybe check fold was an option.

#3 This type of player probably would not fall for a checkraise on the river he might not bet scared of the king so I couldn't try that.

comments appreciated

Old 11-25-2002, 08:23 PM

Default Re: JJ in early position

When you checkraise that flop what do u expect?
You mentioned he was loose aggressive therefore he would probably not fold QQ or AK or KQ. Therefore your checkraise doesn't do much ur simply giving him an easy fold if he has AQ or AJ. Therefore i would check call the flop. Check call the turn and bet out or checkraise the river depending on how often he bets it etc. By simply check calling you induce him to keep bluffing with 10 10, 9 9 or AQ, AJ and if your beat and he has QQ or AK or KQ or AA he isn't going to lay down anyone of those hands to your checkraise but he might if you checkraise the flop and he has AQ costing yourself money.

-MJ
Old 11-25-2002, 08:24 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: JJ in early position

i believe the checkraise on the flop was appropriate - you're taking control back and actually trying to win the hand (something that is imperative heads up unless you plan on flopping the nuts every time)

the king was a good card for you at the time, but his call mostly indicates you are beaten by queens, aces, or a king

i would have played it the same