Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 09:41 PM

Default KQo / making the move: Party NL50 to NL100

Made the move to NL100 about a week ago after a good number of hands at NL50. I've been running very well so far (only about 2200 hands) but this hand got me thinking:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($109.2)
SB ($63.75)
BB ($66)
UTG ($108.4)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, BB calls $12.

Turn: ($41) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $46 (All-In), Hero calls $26.

River: ($133) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $133

At NL50 this is a fold every time for me. However, I felt the situation was correct for a call here. Even though my winrate is solid right now, I feel the game is a lot more aggressive and I may be getting run over at times leading me to take stands/make reads in many more marginal situations. Is this read dependent here? Also who likes a bigger turn bet? I probably underbet it a bit here but he still didn't have odds to chase.

Results to come....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: KQo / making the move: Party NL50 to NL100

Guess it isn't as interesting as I thought. He flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHIG
Old 02-18-2005, 04:46 PM

If he's a bad player, he has the flush draw, TPWK/mid pair, or the unlikely 2 pair.

If he's a good player, he has AK or a set. That's the only hands I can see calling.

So I think the play was good, except maybe push the turn harder. If the flush hits on the river your money is probably going in anyways because too often all they actually have is a pair..
Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM

Can you explain the underbet on the flop? You bet about 3/4 pot where I would usually bet pot. I am new to these games. Is 3/4 pot a standard amount here? Any particular reason not to be the full pot size?
Old 02-18-2005, 04:57 PM

I usually go anywhere from 2/3 pot - pot just depending on table texture and my image. They don't have odds either way, it's probably just a personal preference. I also pick up a lot of missed flops in position with this bet and you lose less when you do get called
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Yeah when you're getting 4:1 to make that call on the turn there's not a lot to think about. One thought though...you offered him 3:1 on his 12 out (2.66:1) draw on the turn, so he did have odds and that was a mistake on your part. Go ahead and put him all in.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain the underbet on the flop? You bet about 3/4 pot where I would usually bet pot. I am new to these games. Is 3/4 pot a standard amount here? Any particular reason not to be the full pot size?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Heros slightly less than pot bet on this flop / situation.

main reason; presumably Hero is raising quite a lot of hands on the butotn, so the flo pwill miss him quite a bit too. So it's easier (less expensive ) when he tries to pick up the pot and runs into a hand.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM

You're kind of right. Depends on the flush draw that he has...if he has the nut flush draw then yes, he does have 12 outs but otherwise he only has 9.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess it isn't as interesting as I thought. He flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHIG

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, thats pretty interesting. Ballsy of Villain, but you sorta PCed yourself with the turn bet, so I guess he overvalued his fold equity. (Or put you on a 2nd barrel bluff..)

Being a blind / button battle I think once you've committed that much, it's a call, nh.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a bad player, he has the flush draw, TPWK/mid pair, or the unlikely 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I thin kit's less likely a bad player will semibluff the turn. A bad player WILL have a worse TP hand though a good % of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a good player, he has AK or a set. That's the only hands I can see calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think being a blind/button battle a good player could have more, but this is fairly reasonable. Good tricky players would semibluff too, but maybe not with the stacksizes what they were after Hero's bet. [ QUOTE ]

So I think the play was good, except maybe push the turn harder. If the flush hits on the river your money is probably going in anyways because too often all they actually have is a pair..

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I actually vs a good player will ch3ck that turn. Vs a bad player the bet is very good.