Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: \" My only concern Is Winning\" !!

I'm not sure that making a standard steal-raise against the small stack is always that great of an idea. Unless you are fairly certain that he will lay it down...it's a better idea to go after the middle stacks who will be less likely to play back at you because they have more to lose.

Why commit yourself to calling a reraise when you have a crappy hand? People with desperate stacks will play back with anything decent, so it's probably better to go at them with a decent hand yourself. Why double them up? They will soon be gone anyway.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that making a standard steal-raise against the small stack is always that great of an idea. Unless you are fairly certain that he will lay it down...it's a better idea to go after the middle stacks who will be less likely to play back at you because they have more to lose.

Why commit yourself to calling a reraise when you have a crappy hand? People with desperate stacks will play back with anything decent, so it's probably better to go at them with a decent hand yourself. Why double them up? They will soon be gone anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

He never said he was making the steal attempt against a small stack.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll make my standard raise going for a steal and a small stack will come over the top for what is little more than a min reraise

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume he means a small stack between him and the blinds comes over the top. I have seen him play and he obviously has that simple concept down.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:54 PM

Yes I meant a small stack between me and the blinds coming over the top. I do however think I play the odds too much at times (something I need to reconcider, making too many Gus like calls).

One thing I've found is that these plays where I end up having to call w/ 8Ts seem to get me action when I do have the goods. This really can be invaluable to your overall chance of finishing in the big money. Am I completely off base? How do you play it?

-sloth
Old 02-17-2005, 03:58 PM

The same way.