Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Profesional Poker Career: 1 Month Check-In

I'm guessing that his grades are alright. Obviously I have no way to tell. But think about it. Everyone has been bitching at him about how he's playing so little poker and how he needs to pull his head out of his and realize it's not the way to go. However, he stated himself that he hasn't been able to play much because of school (and moving). That right there shows that he is prioritizing school. While a lot of college students that could make $20+ an hour playing poker might just play 50 hours a week while skipping all of their classes and then buying the finest liquer on the weekends, I just don't see this from him. Of course, maybe I'm mistaken, but I think I understand completely where he's coming from.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thread hi-jack that 'turning pro is a bad idea' is rude and stupid. We've had this discusssion many times before. This person said he would post an update after a month and he is doing that.....go ahead and have your "don't turn pro" debates somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

cracker please. It's both relavent and timely to the discussion.

Going pro is more than quitting your job at the local retail mall and playing poker full time.

It's about getting medical insurance, it's about putting money into IRAs for retirement, it's about learning how to manage your bankroll to pay for mundane things like car insurance and groceries.

This guy is not a pro, he's a student..so the whole concept of this post is off base and irrelavent.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:00 PM

for successful players poker is an excellent source of income while in school.

if you can win at poker why would you ever flip a burger?

but taht's completely different from being a 'pro'.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:01 PM

yes, poker is a great hobby for him to have while he's doing his REAL occupation of 'student'.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 PM

Dont worry about the negative comments.

Some people cant make decisions in life without putting security as the primary nexus. Of course this is a function of fear or insecurity. When they read your posts about being pro, this fear manifests itself hence the negativity in some (not all) of the anti pro posts.

In the end we are all maggot food. No decision you make can alter this. Whats more important to you, taking a shot or dieing in a comfy bed?

I would get a degree though.

Crazy ass please. My theory is that you hold yourself up so high in the poker world that anyone classifies themself as a pro who isn't making $100,000+ a year deserves to be humiliated. I think YOU'VE got some issues. The guy is in college for crying out loud. Good luck finding a decent job in college that's going to provide you with medical insurance, IRA, etc etc. Maybe "professional" isn't the best term, but come on dude, it's f'in semantics for crying out loud. His title could have just well of been "My focus on playing more poker 1 month check in". Would that have made your picky, arrogant ass feel a little bit better?

if you asked me who I would back without knowing facts with Bob on one side and Pokerhost man on the other, I would of laughed.

Sadly though, I agree with tripledouble and think that it IS relevant to the poster and situation applied to this thread.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Maybe techincally, but look at his intentions. Is he intending to play poker the rest of his life? I don't think so, maybe I'm mistaken though.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Profesional Poker Career: 1 Month Check-In

Without reading his blog or knowing the backgrounds and going by this post, it sure sounds like a PRO PLAYER with nothing else. This is not an arguement about semantics. Saying Pro is one thing that could be exagerrated, but you do not write CAREER in a causal basis. Semantics goes out the window here.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cracker please.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Going pro is more than quitting your job at the local retail mall and playing poker full time.

It's about getting medical insurance, it's about putting money into IRAs for retirement, it's about learning how to manage your bankroll to pay for mundane things like car insurance and groceries.

This guy is not a pro, he's a student..so the whole concept of this post is off base and irrelavent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said.