Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default AK early on for those who are having trouble

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t2410)
MP3 (t875)
CO (t370)
Button (t775)
SB (t555)
BB (t730)
UTG (t595)
Hero (t915)
MP1 (t775)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t105</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t45.

Flop: (t235) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t265 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t500

for all of those who are having trouble with their preflop play...in this spot i found myself w ak in ep. my plan was a standard raise of 3xbb (i think that due to multitabling, i was a bit unprecise with the slide button). if i get a caller i will bet the size of the pot on the flop regardless of what hits. with several callers i am going to need to hit. unfortunately my plan did not work as i got raised. time for a new plan (poker is a very dynamic game). he raised me a minimal amount, i am out of position but i have ~35% of a chance of hitting tptk which is most likely enough to double up with so i do have implied odds on my side. the flop comes and i totally miss. time to check and fold. even if i do have him dominated it is not worth my stack this early in a sng to find out.

I hope this helps some of you who are having problems with preflop play/playing ak. furthermore, i invite all criticisms from those who feel it is warranted.

johnny
Old 02-16-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: AK early on for those who are having trouble

what could someone possible min reraise you with? AA about oh, 90% of the time. so i think your TPTK would be no good, but he didnt have enough chips for you to double up with anyway. limp call the 50 fold on the flop, no more bleeding chips
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what could someone possible min reraise you with? AA about oh, 90% of the time. so i think your TPTK would be no good, but he didnt have enough chips for you to double up with anyway. limp call the 50 fold on the flop, no more bleeding chips

[/ QUOTE ]
so basically you agree with him.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 PM

No way in hell they have AA 90% of the time they minraise. You wont believe how many times they turn over A9s or 77 or something like this. It always amazes me.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 PM

no, i dont agree with him. i said limp, not raise. thanks though.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM

ok ok, probably not 90, i wasnt really being serious with that. but anyways, i rather limp call a raise and only have to invest 50 or so to miss the flop.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Nothing terrible about limping with AK, it's just not my style. In Multis I limp with it more often. In sit and gos I like to try to define the situation as quickly as possible.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limp call the 50 fold on the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry the absent of a comma between "limp" and "fold," confused me. i wasnt being an ass just asking a question, no need to be grumpy.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:35 PM

I'd put him all in preflop and save myself the postflop decision. You only have to be 40% against his range of hands to make the pot odds correct, and I think you're doing at least that well. Raptor wins more than I do though, so I dunno.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:35 PM

i would be much more inclined to raise with AK utg in a multi because it is probably +chip ev but with more risk. in a multi you have to play a riskier style to succeed and build those chips early. thats not necessary in a sng.