Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 01:46 AM

Default 2/4 deepstacks w/ a tricky player

Stars 2/4 NL, Hero has ~1000, Villain has ~750, I am seen as tight-aggressive and have shown down some strong hands recently. Villain is tricky, semi-loose, and very aggressive with position or when sensing weakness.

Folds around to Hero in MP1 with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Hero raises to $12, folds around to Villain in CO who calls, all others fold.

2 to the FLOP ($30): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Hero leads out for $26, Villain raises to $60, Hero calls

TURN($150): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Hero checks, Villain checks

RIVER($150): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Hero checks, Villain bets $184, Hero?

Some might argue the preflop play is shaky, but as it is, should I have re-raised the flop, bet the turn, blocking bet the river (this is something I regret not doing)? What's your play on each street? Thanks in advance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Nino
Old 02-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: 2/4 deepstacks w/ a tricky player

Make it $200 on the flop.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it $200 on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line a lot.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:49 AM

Elnino - Don't act like a pussy...
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 AM

"Don't act like a pussy... "

Very insightful and informative. Maybe I should be more of a dick, but that role seems to already be taken...

-Nino
Old 02-16-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Don't act like a pussy... "

Very insightful and informative. Maybe I should be more of a dick, but that role seems to already be taken...

-Nino

[/ QUOTE ]

my posts around here have been reduced to just one liners that aren't too funny, but does anyone else see the subtle humor in the above post? i laughed for a while.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:38 AM

You've gotta make the third raise on the flop, I think.

If no, I either blocking bet this river or committ to calling this bet against soros. Checking the turn is a very odd move and very out of character...I don't think I've ever seen him do this with any sort of made hand.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 AM

You need a blocker bet on the river. I'd say 1/3 the pot or so will do nicely.

Lawrence
Old 02-16-2005, 04:40 AM

If you call the flop raise and that J hits I see it as a blank. His re-raise looked more like a steal (KQ or two diamonds). Bet the Turn for 150. Or RR the Flop and take the pot, but if he holds two big diamonds AND is willing to draw for big money then he might just Move-in on you after you re-raised the flop putting you in essentially a race situation. As for your river call that is more difficult. At this point you need to know what his Turn check meant. You checked to him so from what you told us it doesn't seem impossible that he's bluffing the river. You could call here and pick him off. I lean towards calling without evidence to the contrary.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:06 AM

The player you describe acted exactly as you expect him too. Tricky, thus the raise on a fairly innocent flop that he tried to limp in on. He assumes you dont have it, so he should have the pot.

I like min-reraising here to see how he stands. But a call isn't bad. Here's the question.

On the flop, do you feel like your pair of 3's is good? Or were you calling his raise in hopes of hitting one of your 10 clean outs?

If you did think your 3's are good, I like to toss out a feeler bet on the turn. You called his raise, and are playing into him again on the turn. He'll most likely lay down his hand.

IF it gets checked like it did (Hello diamond draw), and the river misses the diamond draw, you HAVE to bet here. You can bet out a blocking bet, or even a 1/2 the pot. But you have to lead out.

I had fun playing with ya last night. How would you describe me after that hour?

Nick