Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Where to open an IRA

[ QUOTE ]
I've been doing a comparison of different online brokerages and it seems Scottrade is the best (cheapest) place to use. Does anyone have any viewpoints/suggestions on this? What do people think about Scottrade vs Ameritrade, Fidelity, TDWaterhouse etc? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is through Vanguard. I am happy with them, but I don't do much trading. It's a ROTH and a 403(b) through work. I just let it sit there and grow.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vanguard...dollar cost average monthly in your choice of a decent index fund The maximum annual contribution is currently $4K a year up from $3K last year for a Roth IRA ..that's $333.33 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to rehash this but I've been away. I've read a lot about dollar cost averaging and how it prevents trying to time the market, but wouldn't it be better to just put the whole $4K in at the very beginning of the year so you have more time to let it grow?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:17 AM

It could, but where are you saving that money for the whole year until it reaches $4k. With regular purchases the dollar cost averageing helps you even out market corrections. You buy more when it's cheeper and less when its more expensive.