Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Strategic play advice?

[ QUOTE ]
The hand in question with Tony D and Hellmuth showed Tony with JJ in the hole for middle set. Are you saying he really did have middle set and folded the hand (you said JT)? I found it really hard to believe when I saw it on TV, as well as some other "strange hands" that were brought up later. I wouldn't say conspiracy, but creative editing seems highly likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

no the hand in play showed tony d with J10 and he turned trips not a set.
and yes he folded his hand.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:14 PM

I don't remember that hand. What did Hellmuth have?

Magik
Old 02-15-2005, 05:01 PM

the deeper I am, the more I like a raise with a low pocket pair, especially behind limpers. with 250+BB it's hard to get allin in an unraised pot, and raising doesn't hurt your implied odds the way it would if you were 50BB behind. in some cases you can even stand a reraise.

the other advantage to raising is in deeper games the person with position and initiative wins a lot of pots uncontested, because you are going to be making calling down an unattractive option for your opponent, and can easily test him later.

so for me, raising small-medium pairs is pretty much a function of stack sizes. only other thing that plays into my decision is how likely I am to take down the pot uncontested. if I have to make a hand I generally like limping more and more, but I'll still raise if money is deep enough.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Do you feel that my flop technique is proper?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 PM

I think for most bigger games it depends too much on your overall play for me to offer a specific opinion on any given flop bet.

the "weight" of a bet is loosely correlated (in opponent's minds) with the types of hands you will make that bet with. that's how people make reads and put you on hand ranges, so for me the question is what sort of hands do I need to make a certain bet in a certain situation? I guess this is like shania or something.

anyways, if you will often bet the pot on the flop on a steal (like a continuation or just a draw), then of course you should often bet the pot with a set. it really depends too much on the specifics of the situation to say in general I think, although I am pretty sure it is probably not much of a mistake to never check a set on the flop.

all this may be very obvious to you already, just my thoughts.