Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: What is Mike Sexton gave accurate commentary?

despite what gus says, im pretty sure didnt think antonio had a small pair, the "i dont think i can fold ten high" comment makes me think he thought antonio had AK and his cards would be live.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 AM

At that point, it was correct to call even if he thought he had AK.

But he has said he put him on the small pair, so I'm certainly going to believe him for what he said.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-15-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing WPT producer Steve Lipscomb is the cause of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the highest rated show in the history of the Travel Channel...i doubt they see it as a problem
Old 02-15-2005, 12:26 PM

I usually think Mike does a pretty good job except when he calls AK allin versus 88 a race when another player has already mucked an ace. I wish he would say that the 88 is now a 3-2 favorite because of the mucked ace.

I think most of the poker announcers really try to dumb down their commentary because they figure most people watching have probably only played in a few home games. In general, they're not talking to anybody that reads these forums or anybody that has ever read a poker book. Their main job is to provide entertainment and make that games seem exciting and Mike does a pretty good job of that.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's the highest rated show in the history of the Travel Channel...i doubt they see it as a problem

[/ QUOTE ]

For awhile, it was the only poker show on tv. As more poker come to tv, there will be more competition and pressure to put out a better show.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM

I think he probably thought there was an equal chance of both and knowning that he was only 3:2 against AK and 1:1 against a lower pair, it was close call when averaged, but worth it in the long run because he'd almost always go on to win with that stack, which was all that mattered in that tournament where 2nd=last. The small chance Antonio had JJ-AA (Gus's read and knowledge of Antonio + simple probability) was offset by the small chance he was bluffing. Just run the numbers -

40% small PP
40% AK-AQ
10% bluff
10% domination
--------------
Easy call for Gus
Old 02-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Championship Poker at the Plaza is my favorite. I have almost all of the episodes saved on my PVR. I can watch those over and over and learn something. I hear the Turning Stone is even better. Every other one I've watched has been fun, but fluffy.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Perhaps he is referring to what the other player is thinking. In that players mind it's a race unless he sees a dead card. I think he does a good job for that kind of show.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading in card player about a hand Gus Hansen had where he called an all in with T8 suited. I am however sure that Mike Sexton was yelling at how great of a play this was. How did he know he had pocket 7's?

Instead what if he said what everyone else is thinking.

What an absolutely horrible call that was?

The commentary applauding and revearing bad play is comical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike's applauding commentary was no worse than the assliking Doyle Brunson received here when he went allin with a hole-queens after the flop against Gus' pocket aces in the PSI.

I see that same play about a hundred times a day in the $22 SnGs:
A) player with hole queens calls decent-sized preflop raise
B) player with hole queens goes allin after flop (betting about 6-7x the pot) if no overcard comes

That play was the type of play any donkey could make and yet there were any number of Doyle apologists on this very board proclaiming the play's brilliance and how it was "setting up Gus for later." Pshaw. There was no later.

Gus' play against the Dancing Magician was a high-level play that not many players are capable of. It is mocked incessantly because so few are capable of understanding it.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What an absolutely horrible call that was?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an image call in a meaningless tourney. Low risk. A good call.