Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Passive play with trip 8s

Villain seems solid, 18/9.
Is my play here too passive?
Thanks.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Passive play with trip 8s

Yes!

I'd probably just lead the flop, most people will read you for a 3 instead of an 8 because they would expect you to slowplay an 8. If you lead the flop and get raised, you can smoothcall and checkraise the turn. Otherwise just keep betting.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM

yes raise the river at least.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:21 PM

I'd 3-bet the flop, smooth calling 2 bets looks suspicious and you need to get a raise in here somewhere. Waiting for the river to raise would be ok, not something I'd do, but you never pulled the trigger at all.

Why no raise anywhere?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 PM

In my opinion this is way to passive. What was your reason for just calling down? There are no flush or straight draws on the flop. The only real concern is pocket 3's. Because the pot is small and there are few draws possible I could see calling on the flop with the intention of a check-raise on the turn, but calling down is terrible in my opinion. You don't get opportunities much better than this from the SB. Even if the bettor had 3's(unlikely) you had 4 outs to still beat him.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM

The only excuse I have for the weak play is that I gave the villain credit for having the other 8 with an A or a K or even a Q for the boat. I guess I was just playing scared. Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Yeah you can't play scared like this. Given you checked the flop, I'd 3-bet it here.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only excuse I have for the weak play is that I gave the villain credit for having the other 8 with an A or a K or even a Q for the boat. I guess I was just playing scared. Thanks for the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]
His willingness to raise the flop in front of the rest of the field is a reason not to suspect trips. He seems eager to push people out.