Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Losing my bankroll very quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Save up a few hundred and start 2/4 ... get out of the rake buster .5/1 tables (waste of time).

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way, way wrong here.

And it's not even close.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
I think there was a post a while back that detailed a good way to get started playing online poker.

0) read Small Stakes Hold Em (SSHE)

1) deposit 50 bucks in your site of choice with microlimits (Pokerstars, Absolute Poker, and PokerStars all have nano/micro limits)

2) start playing either .10/.20 or .5/.10.

2.5) play until you've earned 300 BB at each level, or have 300 BB for the next level, whichever comes later.

3) when you get 300 bucks, move up to .5/1 and start bonus whoring. there is a great post by homer on building bankroll for newbies, try a search for that.

4) when you get to 355 dollars, buy pokertracker.

5) read SSHE.

6) post hands along the way.

7) repeat steps 2.5 and 6 ad nauseaum

if you are not new to poker and would like to start off playing .5/1, then you will need at least 300 dollars to do so. but, there's no shame in building a bankroll from .10/.20 limits. I did it, and I'm playing 2/4 now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Homer's whore post
Old 02-14-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play serious. Save up a few hundred and start 2/4 - not 3-tabling while listening to music, talking to your girlfriend, and taking bong loads.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, he would have to save up around $1000 to do this right. Most people wouldn't want to risk this if they don't even know that they're winning players yet.

Also, why should he start at a more difficult level? If he has lost his $50 deposit several times, it is possible that he is not a winning player at all. He should learn to beat 0.5/1 first, and then move up.

[ QUOTE ]
If done correctly you should soon find yourself with a nice bankroll to begin multitabling with

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't need to build up a bankroll in order to multitable (bankroll requirements are the same), he needs to build up his experience.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:02 PM

Bonuswhore++
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 PM

Hey, Jimbo, I did something like what everyone else is suggesting, although I lost $50 doing it the first time.

Put your $50 into PokerStars. Most people think they have the best players at low limits. This can only help, right?

Make sure you have WLLHE, at least. SSHE will help later.

At $150, move to .25/.50. At around $300, move some money out and move to a Party skin where you can get rakeback and such. However, if you are in a long grind period, you might want to post hands to ensure you're on the right track.