Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 06:52 PM

Default PayPal problem? Not a real problem

Seems to me that this is a good week for online poker players. With the once powerful PayPal bailing out of the online gaming scene due to bulldog watchdogs like Elliot Spitzer and others attacking online gaming deposit/withdrawal vehicles some other services have stepped up to the plate. Citadel (formerly clearchex), PrePaidAtm, FirePay (who I don't use or reccomend) and now Neteller. The "demise" of online gaming is much reported and as usual (remember Y2k?) much ado about nothing.

This week UB and PokerStars are introducing Neteller for us to use and BOTH are offering deposit bonuses if you use the service.

I just don't believe the government or PayPal can stop those of us who want to live free and play poker from the privacy of our own homes.

Royal
Old 11-19-2002, 07:04 PM

Default PokerStars NETeller 20% deposit bonus

Correct...we started our 20% deposit today, running for 2 weeks. Click here for more information.

...dan

Dan Goldman
VP Marketing, PokerStars
Old 11-19-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Re: PayPal problem? Not a real problem

While most online poker players might not want the government to intervene in regards to online gambling, don't think that it wont be regulated soon. With both the house and senate having the majority being republican. Hr556 the internet prohibition act is guaranteed to get passed in the semi distant future. Don't get your hopes up yet. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: PokerStars NETeller 20% deposit bonus

hi dan. i like your site's graphics and software and all, but why are the games so bad? look at the pathetic flop % and low average pot size. i know you guys focus on tournies and all, but how about make your ring games better?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:19 PM

i know you guys focus on tournies and all, but how about make your ring games better?

if you are going to suggest such a thing, how about being specific on how he might *possibly* be able to affect flop percentages ?!?!?!

(but you WIN the troll, "stupid comment" of the week award, so all is not lost)

Old 11-19-2002, 09:51 PM

At this instant (5p PDT Tuesday), here’s a representative sample of our live games:

Game AvPot Plyrs/flop
----------------------------------------
1/2 Hold ‘em $ 12 47%
3/6 Hold ‘em $ 34 53%
3/6 Hold ‘em $ 46 39%
10/20 Hold ‘em $149 30%
15/30 Omaha/8 $311 41%
1/2 PL Omaha $ 50 51%
4/8 Stud/8 $ 46 36% (on 4th street)

(sorry about formatting - can't seem to get it right)

Pot sizes of 6-10 big bets are about what I am used to in live games, and what I have seen as most other sites. Just as you find in any poker room, online or otherwise, we have a variety of types of games whose textures are constantly changing, from tight to loose to wild, with a variety of qualities of players. That’s what makes it poker [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

…dan

Dan Goldman
VP Marketing, PokerStars
Old 11-19-2002, 10:11 PM

>how about being specific on how he might *possibly* be able to affect flop percentages ?!?!?!

Duh...any promotion which attracts more "gamblers" would help. An hourly, or even daily, high hand jackpot would work.

Sites that think they're "saving" money by forgoing cash promotions are losing in the long run. They're short-sighted and don't realize they're losing the business of loose gamblers, attracted by the possibility of hitting a jackpot. These types of players attract one another - and in turn, the serious players.

Old 11-19-2002, 11:05 PM

Duh...any promotion which attracts more "gamblers" would help. An hourly, or even daily, high hand jackpot would work.

OK, i agree. as long as it is a long-term, JUICY promotion. a short-lived gimmick won't mean squat in the long run.

pokerstars is undeniably the leader in tourneys, but lags behind in promos.

personally, i wish they had more.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:35 AM

I think of this as more of a rake reduction as opposed to a cash promotion. The FPP requirement is as bad as promo bucks. You need to play 600 games to get the maximum amount and there must be at least a $1 rake per game. That means $2/4 and above but the choices of these games I usually see there are slim and unappealing.

Just my $.01.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 PM

I play some at pokerstars and will probably take advantage of the 20% bonus. However, the terms of the pokerstars bonus are much more restrictive than Paradise or Planet.

As I read the bonus terms the bonus amount is only pending until the player plays 500 raked ($1 min) hands. That is alot more than Paradise where only 100 hands was required.

Moreover, if you lose your buyin before you play 500 hands you don't get the bonus unless you buyin again. At least at Paradise you get the bonus immediately, and if you lose all your chips before playing 100 hands you get to keep bonus money.

I just think that the Pokerstars bonus scheme is too restrictive.

Eltoro