Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Standard Early play $10 sitngos

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there's a one sentence answer?

Doubling your stack in the first 30 hands won't help much for the the last 60 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:19 AM

Maybe there's a one sentence answer?

Never give a sucker an even break.

Lori
Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 AM

Enlighten me. Do you plan on doubling up more than once in the first 30? If this is your plan, please teach me how to execute it.

EDIT: BTW, if you can double up once every 30 hands, you're wasting your time playing $10+1 tournaments. Stick to the cash games.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enlighten me. Do you plan on doubling up more than once in the first 30? If this is your plan, please teach me how to execute it.

EDIT: BTW, if you can double up once every 30 hands, you're wasting your time playing $10+1 tournaments. Stick to the cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said that doubling up in the 1st 30 hands doesnt help you much in the last 60 hands. When you're blinded down to 600 by level 5, as is frequently the case playing extremely tight in the early rounds, and you go all-in on a coinflip and win, does it help you then? Obviously, having more chips keeps you from having to make desperation plays as early as you would otherwise, and also gives you more leeway to steal. I dont "plan" to double up every 30 hands, but by playing more hands early when its cheap, I definitely have a better shot at it. With regards to cash games, it is obviously alot easier to double up in these sitngos with the stacks so shallow and the players so loose.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, guess we can agree to disagree on this one then, as thats all a little too vague for me. Would you agree that your best chance to play pots with the worst players at the table is in the 1st 2-3 levels, generally speaking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being vague intentionally, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What you are saying applies perhaps to the 109s or 215s (or 1ks). It would seem players like Giga *love* to spot the sucker early and take his chips if at all possible in these high buyins. This probably doesn't happen as much as one would think though as I'm sure he needs a very solid read to risk his stack early. However, I bet he wouldn't be making such 'plays' at all in the lower buyins. Do you see why? If you can, then your original post will be answered.

Yugoslav