Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Tournament Clock

I wrote a review of the different clocks about 8 months ago. I'm in the process of gathering all the new versions to update those reviews. I'll post it soon.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The two I like best are:

Poker Clock
The Tournament Director

Poker Clock costs $$$. I purchased it before they split the program into Standard/Professional and was grandfathered into the Professional version. This is what I currently use - been using it for almost a year now. Very simple to use though it lacks the features of The Tournament Director.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I purchased The Poker Clock before I discovered the Tournament Director. I prefer the Poker Clock but like discussed, it costs $40 or so, and the TD is a donation-ware product. I have it on my computer at home, so when we play elsewhere, we use The TD. I did have an issue with the TD freezing up on me one time, but that was a couple of updates ago and haven't had any problems lately. Also, it was on an older computer so I wouldn't come right out and blame the program.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:27 AM

Im a big fan of Tournament Director and have used it since last August at least 3 times a month. If it kept track of "season stats" for lack of a better term it would suit me perfectly.

With that being said, Im going to give Dr. Neau's Tourney Manager a try. Im hoping it will help with the player rankings from week to week and with a player of the year type format.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:36 AM

This one looks nice...

www.thepokergenie.com
Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 PM

That does look cute but I don't think I would pay money for a hardware clock when I already have a pretty cool system laid out in TD.

I tried the recent beta of Neau's Tourney Manager. All the power of TD is there, plus a lot. I just got so frustrated trying to work the interface that I gave up. As a linux geek I appreciate the fact that TM can run under linux, but I just can't justify throwing away the ease of TD. Yet, anyways. If TM's ease-of-use factor goes up a bit, I would love to switch.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:18 AM

i have used the tournament director once. i was just messing around with it but it seems to get the job done.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:33 AM

I've used TD for my last 3 tourneys and after everyone sees it they all love it. I've been able to train everyone on using the 'x' key so eliminating players isn't a problem. I also agree that you'll want to do a mock tourney and play with the setup before you use it in live play for the first time. No experience with the other programs, but TD gets the job done for my game.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:06 PM

A few days ago I mentioned how I used Poker clock and was weary of switching to The Tournament Director.

I worked up the nerve to switch it last Thursday for several reasons but primarily for the seating. We always spent a good 10 min trying to figure out where everyone should sit (suited cards to determine seat) and wasted a few moments when we had to take one player from one table and place him/her on another. TD worked great.

Some of the players didn't seem too happy about the computer choosing their seat at the beginning but the rest thought it helped make things smoother.

Also, I used to write down on paper the order people got knocked out but now with TD, I just use the X key and select the player. At the end of the game a list is produced for me - saves me a little time.

All in all I'm very happy. The sounds worked, I have a good layout and it really helped with the seating so I think I'm going to use TD from now on.

My only complaint (and it's minor), is when we combined, it took the players from Table 1 and moved them to Table 2. We always use table 1 (custom made table) as our final table, so it took a few moments to sort that out.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only complaint (and it's minor), is when we combined, it took the players from Table 1 and moved them to Table 2. We always use table 1 (custom made table) as our final table, so it took a few moments to sort that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that can be a bit annoying. The way we usually handle that is use the collapse as a break time of sorts. We bring up the final seating chart and people move to the respective spot on the final table (which can be a physically different one than TD has). Overall we are really happy with TD- and with rumors of a version 2 with some killer features, I'm looking forward to using it for a long time.