Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: fish alert - a new way to rant

This type of player is very important to learn how to beat. You will make a lot of money off of a guy like this. And why would letting this guy have a "set amount of money" benefit you. If you are in a +ev situation, keep playing.

craig
Old 02-13-2005, 01:11 AM

These are my favorite players also. But the profitability comes with a price and all the books in the world tell you that. I personally understand that I will take a beating from a maniac once in a while and when I do it will HURT.

The swings you'll see are tremendous but your long-term against this guy who will cap with anything will send a lot of dollars your way. The problem is that you don't know when you have the best of it. The only thing you can do to maximize your +EV is play better hands than him.

Here's what happened to me on a Paradise .50/1 the other night: Things are winding down from my 3 tabling session so I'm slowly closing them down as I make my final orbits.

One of my table showed a pretty good run in particular so I took a look at it and there was this one LAG maniac left there who seemed to have built up from the $25 min buy to about $60. I watched this guy show down a lot of hands that were total garbage. In fact, I don't recall him showing down a single good hand.

So I think that I will stick around a couple more orbits and see if I catch a good starting hand. There are 9 people left. I get an AJo. Everyone is playing passive and I know I'll isolate with a raise. So I raise and isolate him. I then flop an A with two rags rainbowed. I bet, he raises, and it's capped. (This is exactly the way it goes with this guy no matter what since I started really paying attention to the table.) The board doesn't improve at all so I show him down with my TP and J kicker and I'm sure I've got him beat when he shows me AQo. No problem. I think, "Well he's gotta get a good hand occasionally. I just got unlucky this time." So I tightened up some more and waited.

This time I get KK and the same thing happens. I isolate with a raise and his RR PF. It's capped all the way to the showdown with no A on the board and he shows me some ragged nonsense for 2 pair. I work really hard on shrugging this one off because I knew I had the best of it.

The last time I actually got pocket rockets not too many hands later. SAME ROUTINE: It's shown down with a low/rainbow/ragged/no-pair board and capped all the way. I turn over my AA absolutely sure that I have the best hand. He turns over an 88 and I watch completely dumbfounded as the chips slide his way. I look at the board and there's an 8 on the river.

This is when I decide I'm too tired to continue for the night. I can take these beats and swings in the long run. They don't really bother me and I prefer to play them agressive to maximize my earnings. But I know exactly how you feel. You're not alone. Just take a break and come back later. Aside from the fact that you could tilt when this happens, your table image goes out the window and everyone puts you up there with the maniac and will take shots at you. Then you'll get more suck-outs and that will really hurt.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:16 AM

Also realize that having at least 2 pair against a maniac is good insurance too. (as these examples show) I know I'll get some criticism for my plays but I welcome it if they explain.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love poker. I am really getting tired of this Party 1/2 Rocks and Maniac BS. If it is the same at 3/6 and 10/20, then I may have a problem....

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 is a fuc[/b]king walk in the park compared to 10/20 or 15/30. Goodbye.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:49 AM

Dude, you're a fool, moron, and an idiot.

Do you see why?

<font color="white">Here's a hint - for one, we don't care about your bad beat stories. Two, why the hell would you tell a bunch of sharks this guy's sn? wouldn't you rather keep him to yourself?
Three - your play sucks. </font>
Old 02-13-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This type of player is very important to learn how to beat. You will make a lot of money off of a guy like this. And why would letting this guy have a "set amount of money" benefit you. If you are in a +ev situation, keep playing.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that if you are better than him and he is beating you then he must be getting better cards or you are not playing him well. By setting a limit you are giving the universe a chance to come back in to balance but having a plan to get out if it doesn't. That is just my thoughts but as always I am here to learn.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to look at the hand history. It is probable I raised, usually my habit. Possibly I called because it was capped. That kind of a game.
Raising without a completed hand, huh?
Let's count the outs.
Any suit. That's 9.
Any A or K for top pair top kicker. That's 6 more.
Any J not my suit that's 3 more.
That brings me to 18 outs. Given what was already in the pot, I'd say I was getting pretty good odds on my raise.
I know you post alot here Bob, but you ever read any books by a guy named Sklansky?
You don't think it's a good idea to raise with 75 suit do you? I suppose I lost because he was the better player. I also suppose you have never raised with 18 outs.
Don't troll me anymore, OK?
What's your handle, BTW? You sound a little passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his point is that AKs is a raising hand pre-flop, especially if you have a chance to isolate the maniac by getting it heads-up where you likely have the best hand.

I think his second point is that in your implied heads-up situation, you aren't getting the odds to have a raising war, even with a 4-flush at the flop. You want 2 or 3 callers to your bets for value. If you're heads-up here, you might want to just call the raise at some point.

At least that's my understanding of Sklansky land, pot odds, and betting flush draws for value based on field size.

All the best to you.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:24 AM

i'll gladly beat the piss out of armaduc for you lol. thanks for the buddy list addition
Old 02-14-2005, 04:50 AM

When a Maniac is hitting they are impossible to beat. But they can't keep hitting forever. When I encounter a Maniac, I tighten up and only play hands I am willing to play for a raise.

Then you ram and jam, if He catches , He catches, if not, you win big. Just play your best game, only tighter and more aggressive. The swings are greater against a Maniac, but big swings allow for big wins.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:53 AM

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ALL NEED YOUR HUSBANDS TO DRIVE TO THE STORE AND GET YOU SOME TAMPONS