Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Are These BAAAD Preflop Raises?

Here are two preflop raises I made in a 'normal' 15-30 game. I was chatting with a player whose play I respect and he thought both these raises were bad - not even marginal! What do you think?

1. I am on the button with Ad6d. There is one limper from UTG+2. This limper has good starting hand selection, but is very predictable. I figure my hand/position is probably better than his (headsup), and he will not outplay me postflop. So I raise to clear out the blinds and play heads up.

2. I have Ks10s in UTG+3. I open for a raise. This is a 50/50 raise for me. I have 2 reasons for the raise. There is some blind stealing equity. Also, I think that with my raise the hand will be a lot easier to play after the flop if I am called or raised.

Thanks for you help
Old 11-19-2002, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Are These BAAAD Preflop Raises?

I would not raise the first hand. You may get 3 bet later by somebody behind you. You may also get a cold-caller. Now you have neither a good hand or good position.

The open raise with KTs UTG+3 is fine if your image is fairly tight. You don't want anyone to enter the pot behind you, since you'd likely be dominated. However, against the blinds, this is fine. You could also limp with this hand, too.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:45 PM

I can think of very few circumstances in which I would raise either of those hands. Unless of course I was on tilt. Trying to get heads up with an early limper with a rag Ace can backfire on you very easily, and you are still subject to a reraise behind you. Also, K10, even suited can be a pretty dominated hand and plays much better multiway then it does heads up in my opinion. Others will probablly be able to answer your question better.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:45 PM

I would find a new friend to discuss strategy with. Both hands are clear cut raising
situations. The first hand is not even close. You have a limper and you are now
second to enter the pot from the button. Hopefully you will be headsup and by
raising preflop if your opponent misses a bet will get you the pot. Without raising
your chances go way down. It really doesn't make a difference what your opponent
has in this spot.

Bruce
Old 11-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Rarely do I enter the pot in early position (UTG + 3) with a big card without raising.
There are exceptions, but it's usually pump it or dump it. I see very few winning
players who routinely are the first one to enter a pot with a limp. The second hand
I would never limp unless I knew with a reasonable degree of confidence that both
blinds would call anyway.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 11-19-2002, 03:59 PM

I would say int he first situation folding is the best option, unless you could expect a lot of limpers to come in behind you. I dont think raising is an option at all. In the second case, I think in the second situation I would just call.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

what exactly does he have to fear? possibly aj or at. that is it.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:15 PM

reraise7,

You have made two strange statements concerning the Ad6d hand.

you are still subject to a reraise behind you (first post)

and

folding is the best option, unless you could expect a lot of limpers to come in behind you. (second post)

Penguin is on the button with his Ad6d against just one limper. He has little reason to fear a raise from the blind and can only get one limper (SB) behind him.

The Ad6d hand is definately a raising hand with the goal of getting the pot heads-up and winning with a flop bet rather than making the best hand.

I cold either limp or raise with KTs. It depends on how the game has been playing. The "pump it or dump it" approach is garbage.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:28 PM

Dynasty,

When I said I would call if I expected limpers behind me, I was talking about the K10s hand. In early position, in a tough game I would think about discarding this hand, and in a easier more passive game I dont think I would raise it, rather just call and hope for some limpers behind me.

My other comment was regarding the A6s hand on the button. I think again I would be more likely to just flat call and play the hand out with 4 way action assuming the SB calls. The reson I say this is because I dont really think trying to isolate an early position player with just a rag ace is a very good play.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:07 PM

Ace-rag is a fairly big hand heads-up when you have postion. Being suited only helps.