Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 03:08 AM

Default How to maximize this hand?

Some bankground first.

$2/$4NL.
Here are my last 2 hands prior to the one in question.
I raise to $24 with QQ. I get a caller.
The flop is KT4. I bet 3/4 pot and get called.
The turn is a queen. I check hoping to check raise big but he checks behind.
River is an ace. I check and call a small bet. He has KJ and wins with a straight.
We have a "discussion" when he starts trying to taunt me.

Couple hands later. 6 limpers and I raise to $32 from the SB with JJ. Same guy reraises to $60. We both have pretty big stacks so I call. The flop is Jxx. I check raise him all in and bust his AA.

OK, because of these hands ( my raise to $32 with JJ), I have a feeling people dont respect my raises. On to the hand in question.
I open raise UTG to $20 with QQ. UTG +1 calls (different guy now),MP calls and then the BB min raises to $36. We all call.

Of course I think hes got AA or KK most likely. UTG+1 is very loose but Ive never seen MP or the BB before. They all have about $400 and I have them covered.

The pot is $146 and the flop comes KQ4. The question is does he have AA or KK? The BB leads out for $24. That doesnt look like AA. It looks alot like KK to me.

I just call. UTG+1 calls also. MP folds.

The pot is $218. The turn is the case queen. The BB bets only $20 now.

How do you maximize this hand from this point on? If I raise, it'll look like I have AQ. I'll lose UTG+1 for sure, but of course if the BB has KK, I'll bust him. If he has AA or AK, he folds also most likely.

I know this isnt the most thought provoking hand, I just wonder whats the best way to maximize profits since theres another guy behind me still in the hand.

It looks like theyre both scared since the BB is betting smaller each round and the UTG+1 isnt raising, so I may not get much more no matter what I do.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: How to maximize this hand?

Or they may be drawing, or the other guy might be slowplaying 44, who knows. If it's at all possible that you think a free river card will make someone a second best hand, then smooth call, if the board is rainbow and nothing is likely, you might consider raising. Of course, if you smooth call, the pot will be bigger on the river so any subsequent bet/raise will be larger than it would be right now. So that might be the best option. With a hand like yours, you just have to hope he has a hand or makes one, so let him catch up, you are either going to get action cause he has a hand, or you aren't.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:27 AM

Let's break this hand down as to what villain might have:
KK: in this case he'll definitely, barring him being a genius, get all his chips in on the river-since it's inevitable that KK goes bust here, there's no reason to raise the turn.
AA or AK: If you call the turn, he might see the just-call as a sign of weakness and bet out, in which case you raise the minimum on the river if he bets or value bet him-he probably will feel like he has to call. If they are keen enough to slow down when the board pairs like that and read your just-call as a slowplay, they are probably also good enough to fold to a raise on the turn when the board pairs. So raising might have no value. By calling and betting the river if this suspicious player checks even if he sees your call as a slowplay he might have to crying call with AK or AA. So raising when vilian has a a marginal hand never
makes sense.
Bluff: Just call. He'll keep bluffing. Players don't bluff to often into a raise on the turn, so let him fire the third bullet on the river.
Considering that raising here will never get more value than just calling and that you might get the player behind you to call as opposed to shutting him out of the pot by slowplaying, I see no argument for raising this turn.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:35 AM

You know villian didn't bet the turn in hand one right?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:11 AM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.

I'll break this up for you.

[ QUOTE ]
I open raise UTG to $20 with QQ. UTG +1 calls (different guy now),MP calls and then the BB min raises to $36. We all call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you not re-raising here?!

KK?! AA?! Come on, brother. If you're not willing to put it in with the 3rd best hand in Hold'em, don't play No-Limit.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I think hes got AA or KK most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO!!!!!! Why?

A.) You have QQ! The 3rd best out of 169 hands, regardless of suits.

B.) You say, "Of course..." Why, of course? What so obvious about one of your opponents having AA or KK?

C.) And, if it's "so obvious, "why are you calling?"

D.) You raise to $20, someone re-raises to $36?!... Anyone else see this... WEAK!!!!!!!!! Push!!! Push!!! Push!!! or Fold!!! Fold!!! Fold!!!

I say PUSH!!!!!! What are you waiting for? A movie moment where everyone calls your raise and you flop QQX?! Come on.

I don't mean to be mean. I just think that you're approach to this hand was very weak. It's not as much about your play as it is to your rationale.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:05 AM

You shouldn't be three betting kings here, let alone queens. The reason is a worse hand will fold and a better hand will call.

"

C.) And, if it's "so obvious, "why are you calling?"
"

Set value.

"
D.) You raise to $20, someone re-raises to $36?!... Anyone else see this... WEAK!!!!!!!!! Push!!! Push!!! Push!!! or Fold!!! Fold!!! Fold!!!

I say PUSH!!!!!! What are you waiting for? A movie moment where everyone calls your raise and you flop QQX?! Come on."

Calm down and think the situation through. Do you call all in raises with JJ? 10-10? AQ? AK? So what hands call you? AA or KK?

Take a flop, play some poker.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Alex, thats flat out bad advice.

OK, so I called, the turn as did UTG +1 again.
The river was a ten making the final board KQ4QT. BB bet $20 again. I raised to $108 and the both folded.

Oh well. It was still a nice healthy pot.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.

You have this table not thinking much of you going into the hand. I'd feel a bigger raise PF than $16. If you're only playing for set value, would the K on the flop kill your hand and you're re-drawing to 1 out. Now, are you playing for quad value?

I just think that this hand could've been stronger. Playing for set value works when someone's really shown some action. Otherwise, you're playing your Queens as the best hand. When I say push, I'm saying put $100 in there. A lot of flops are gonna make you call $100 if he has AA or KK if you miss your Queen anyway. Put it in there now on a read Villian is weak.

There's a difference between making a third raise and that third raise being after a minimum raise.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Alex,

A min raise from the BB when the UTG raised and got two callers is not a sign of weakness. If you fail to understand why, then I suggest you just read the forum for a while instead of posting. This is really rediculous advice, and after you burn up a few bankrolls with this logic, maybe you will understand why. It sounds like you have either been playing only limit or have been watching too much WPT to me.

Magik
Old 02-13-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or have been watching too much WPT to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince: "Dan picked up a monster! A3 suited! Of course he's coming in for a raise!"
Mike: "Oh no Vince, Sally has an even BIGGER hand with two sixes on the button... Of course she's going to reraise."
Vince: "But whats this? Rich in the big blind with the mother-crushing hand two 10s! And he's laying it down!? Wow, look at that!"

~~~