Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Gave up too early with top 2?

I just believe you will make up a lot more on the turn when your bet is nearly gaurenteed from the button the way he is playing and you feel that you have him beat most of the time.

No one with a flush draw is going anywhere, they aren't even making a bad mistake if they cold call any amounts of bets as they are close to 2:1 to get their flush draw.

This is a concept IMO, that you can't protect your hand on the flop, but your value of your hand to a safe card goes up significantly and then making them pay 2 or more bets on the turn is making them make a large mistake.

By pumping on the flop, you give them odds to chase maybe even 2 cold on the turn with the implied odds they will get with the river.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Maybe im too tight but UTG im not playing this hand and capping the flop is giving better odds to others as people have mentioned.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:14 PM

W/o knowing any specifics of your game this is a close call PF exactly because of situations like yours. You get raised behind you and that makes the rest of the hand difficult to play out of position after the flop (unless you hit a monster - trips, flush, boat). I don't like to play hands like this unless I have pretty good reads on most of my opponents at the table.

When you don't have good reads, I think you have to take this to showdown in a pot this size. Folding this hand on the turn is a big mistake. Two possible lines would be:

(a) just calling down and getting to showdown, although you might fold the river to a fourth spade or raise if you catch.

(b) raise the turn, fold to a 3-bet. Check behind on the river UI.

(notes: I like line (b) a lot better if you hadn't capped the flop. Even though button 3-bet the flop (and not trying to be results-oriented given we know he folded the turn) I think you're safe to raise the turn here given his PF raise. His PF raise combined with the flop 3-bet looks a lot to me like he's protecting AK or a big pocket pair (not likely KK/TT because there's already 4 cards out). I think a turn raise will many times push out UTG and Button and leave you heads up with SB who will turn over second best hands enough of the time for this to be +EV and if you're 3-bet it's an easy fold)

... is line (b) too lag??

Also, I think you would've got better responses if you would've stopped the post at your decision. Cut the hand history after SB bets the turn..
Old 02-12-2005, 05:10 PM

If most games, especially 2/4, unless the table is too tight (move tables), I'm playing this hand UTG.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(b) raise the turn, fold to a 3-bet. Check behind on the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button won't fold AA or AK if he has the Ace of spades. You will get 3 bet by a flush, and just called by any J high flush or lower. You sometimes will get 3 bet by a set by an ultra-aggressive.

I personally really dislike this thought, seems too fancy, for players who won't get it nor make the folds you are looking for.

Plus the chance a spades comes on the river even if your raise goes uncontested, you lose those pots too. You are a slim chance at pulling off this play in the profit.