Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Low limit O-8 Hand

I have been reading a few books at the same time so it's possible i've confused the source, but I strongly suspect it's from TOP. By optimally, I mean the way you would play if everyone's cards are visible to all. This is the definition used in TOP.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
TOP also says that slowplaying a nut hand when someone with the second nut hand wants to give action is a serious mistake.

What???

I don’t think TOP says that either. At least I can’t find it anywhere in my copy.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky did say say that slowing playing the absolute nuts may be a serious mistake because of the potential action from the second nut or another strong hand, but I think he said this in HPFAP, not TOP. The reason I suspect this is that such a concept is much more applicable to limit play, which is the focus of HPFAP and not the focus of TOP.

When applying this concept to the situation presented in this thread, consider that the nut flush is not the absolute nuts. For this board the concept would say that it would be a mistake not to bet the straight flush because the ace flush might cap every street with you. If there weren't 3 clubs within five cards of each other on this unpaired board, THEN the concept MIGHT apply (for the ace high flush), although the presence of a possible low hand obfuscates it considerably.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From Theory of Poker:
Slow playing is only correct if the value you get from disguising your hand is greater than the cost of not playing the hand optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Red Lemon -

• (1) Since slow playing may be the optimal way to play a hand, that sentence doesn’t make sense.

• (2) In addition, you seem to be comparing apples (value) to oranges (cost).

• (3) Finally, that isn’t from TOP. At least I don’t see those words written (or implied) anywhere in the chapter on slow playing in my copy of TOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what BigredLemon was trying to say was "Slowplaying is incorrect unless your expectation is to show on a later round a larger profit than than you would expect if you bet early. In other words, your deception has to have more imlied value than what you'd gain by betting immediately". p145 in TOP

If you assume cost=value given up, and 'optimally' should read 'straightforwardly' then I think he is indeed close to what TOP says.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TOP also says that slowplaying a nut hand when someone with the second nut hand wants to give action is a serious mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think TOP says that either. At least I can’t find it anywhere in my copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

"you would tend to slowplay with excellent hands but not with the pure nuts. With the pure nuts you should bet and raise in case someone else has a strong hand too. Don't make the mistake made by a friend" [example of flopping a straight flush and slowplaying when opponnet holds nut flush]" p146 TOP

---Greg
Old 02-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Hi Greg - Thanks.

Actually I was looking at what you quoted when I wrote my response to Big Red Lemon.

But in my copy of TOP, your first quote is on page 136 and the second quote is on page 137. Mine is the third edition.

I thought of replying to Big Red Lemon's reply, but decided it spoke for itself.

Buzz