Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Big stack play

[ QUOTE ]
Giga said something a while back that has stuck with me...To paraphrase, it was something along the lines of "I MAKE AN EFFORT on EVERY decision I have to make"

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I am trying to improve and do it myself.

[ QUOTE ]

So Rachel, I would agree with Scuba that the answer here has to be "it depends." Every time you make (or dont make) a bet, a risk/reward analysis is necessary. You have to ask yourself, What am I hoping to achieve here? What I am risking to achieve this goal? Is the weighted value of the times I succeed (taking ALL factors into consideration) greater than the weighted value of the times I fail?

Once you ask, and have good answers to, these questions b4 you make your play, you will make a lot of good plays, and won't mind so much when they dont work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

For example if I have 800 chips at level 4, I never bluff raise, I like push or fold with good hands. Should I try min raise with 1600 chip stack with marginal hands like KTs UTG 6 handed?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example if I have 800 chips at level 4, I never bluff raise, I like push or fold with good hands. Should I try min raise with 1600 chip stack with marginal hands like KTs UTG 6 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay Rachel, let's get you thinking a little more than usual.

Blinds (50/100)
Hero: 1600 (button)
SB: 1600
BB: 1600
UTG: 400
UTG+1: 400
MP: 2000
CO: 400

It's folded you, and you push. When is it appropriate for the SB or BB to call?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 PM

At levels 2 and 3, you have more room to maneuver. You can raise with a lot of hands from late position, even after a limper or 2. KJ, A9, JT, it depends. If the flop hits you or you sense weakness, you can fire out a 3/4 pot sized bet. At this point, your opponents need to decide if they want to play for their whole stack. You have position and there are 2 more betting round to go, so they are risking their whole stack by calling you.

On the other hand, you are not pot committed, so you can make plays whether the flop hits you or not. If they come back over the top, you can look them up if you have something or fold if you don't. If the stacks were even, you couldn't afford to throw chips around like this, and you often wouldn't call an allin with only top pair. Now you can.

At level 4 (50/100), it is trickier. If you raise to 300 and someone with 7-800 moves allin, you basically have to call. Therefore, you are better off just pushing in the first place. Feel free to do this a lot.

At a passive table, you'll see cheap flops from the blinds, or maybe you will limp in with a couple hands. Some players will call a lot pre-flop, then fold on the flop, so stay aggressive post flop. If nobody is betting, go ahead and try to take a stab at the pot. If you flop a draw, don't hesitate to push. Even if called by a better hand, you still have a shot to suck out. This is no time to check/call hoping to hit your draw. Their stacks aren't deep enough to pay you off.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay Rachel, let's get you thinking a little more than usual.

Blinds (50/100)
Hero: 1600 (button)
SB: 1600
BB: 1600
UTG: 400
UTG+1: 400
MP: 2000
CO: 400

It's folded you, and you push. When is it appropriate for the SB or BB to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

In your example sb and bb both have 16bb, I imagine they need top 5-10% to call. I don't generally push from button with 16bb unless both blinds are shortstacked.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 PM

[quoteFor example if I have 800 chips at level 4, I never bluff raise, I like push or fold with good hands. Should I try min raise with 1600 chip stack with marginal hands like KTs UTG 6 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your example sb and bb both have 16bb, I imagine they need top 5-10% to call. I don't generally push from button with 16bb unless both blinds are shortstacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get out of your box Rachel, spend some more time here. Give me the exact hands you think they should call a push here with? Furthermore, I gave a lot of detail. What else do you think is important?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get out of your box Rachel, spend some more time here. Give me the exact hands you think they should call a push here with? Furthermore, I gave a lot of detail. What else do you think is important?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, I am not usually pushing 16bb from button, but I would push with top 10% if my option is push or fold. That includes 66+ KQ+ AT+.

Against that range, I believe calling with 99+ and AQ+ is the way to go.

This is very hypothetical situation though.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM

You are a classic. I'm not sure if you answered the question.

Rachel, if you are the BB, you have no idea what any pusher has. Don't think about what you would push with first.

Only think about what hands do you need to have knowing that you have 1600 chips, in this blind scenario, and the rest of the info. What exactly are the hands that you would call with?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:52 PM

"On the bubble it's criminal not to do so"

I think it's criminal not to do it here as well. You have a great advantage, so you should make the most of it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a classic. I'm not sure if you answered the question.

Rachel, if you are the BB, you have no idea what any pusher has. Don't think about what you would push with first.

Only think about what hands do you need to have knowing that you have 1600 chips, in this blind scenario, and the rest of the info. What exactly are the hands that you would call with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I answer the question. First off, we assume every player is good, bb knows button is reasonable, therefore he get the range of hands that he would push and adjust accordingly.

It's like solving a logic puzzle to outguess what your opponent think about you. Of course if bb think button is maniac who would push any two, he just need to call better than average hands. So as you said, it depends.