Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: What site boasts the weakest limit players?

I'd say Boss. Most realistic looking cards on the net as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about this whole discussion would be that I'll bet most of the "fish" don't see themselves like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if they don't, many of them wouldn't want to play at a site that promotes itself as being full of idiots because they think it makes them look bad to others. Some people poker play online partially because it's a cool thing to do now, and it doesn't make you look cool to tell people that you play on that site where all of the players are morons who don't understand poker (even though those of us who really understand poker would respect their excellent game selection).
Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about this whole discussion would be that I'll bet most of the "fish" don't see themselves like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if they don't, many of them wouldn't want to play at a site that promotes itself as being full of idiots because they think it makes them look bad to others. Some people poker play online partially because it's a cool thing to do now, and it doesn't make you look cool to tell people that you play on that site where all of the players are morons who don't understand poker (even though those of us who really understand poker would respect their excellent game selection).

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I think you're looking too deeply into this matter.

Poker is more about "money" than "coolness."

I stand by my original response to you.

Adam
Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No site is going to boast that its own players are weak.

That's sort of like a bar advertising "We have the sluttiest women." While this may be true and is very good news for the men (sharks), the women (fish) are not going to patronize a place where they are associated as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

Boast:

1)To speak of with excessive pride.
2)To possess or own (a desirable feature): “ [the] capital of a region in the southeast that boasts bountiful coal fields” (US Air).
3) To contain; have.

I think the OP was using the definition described in #2 or #3 when using the word "boast", Poindexter.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 PM

Dear Poindexter,

As to your three definitions of "Boast"

1 - Addressed in my original reply
2 - "Possessing or owning a desirable feature" - it has been covered in this thread that a site would probably NOT be proud that its players are considered among the weakest.
3 - The third of three listed definitions is the least common and least used. I stand by my original reply.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my experience, ..it's Pacific.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The software blows though
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I think you're looking too deeply into this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that you disagree with my beliefs on this and that's fine as nothing can really be proven one way or another. But I really don't think my position is deep or complex. The whole argument is this: If a site claims that all of their customers are idiots, their customers will be embarassed and insulted and that's bad for business.

[ QUOTE ]
I stand by my original response to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
So why aren't the sites currently advertising the fishiness of their customers?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Poindexter,

As to your three definitions of "Boast"

1 - Addressed in my original reply
2 - "Possessing or owning a desirable feature" - it has been covered in this thread that a site would probably NOT be proud that its players are considered among the weakest.
3 - The third of three listed definitions is the least common and least used. I stand by my original reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found a course that you might find interesting.

(And by "course" I mean: "education imparted in a series of lessons or class meetings" and not
"Onward movement in a particular direction; progress: the course of events" or
"The route or path taken by something, such as a stream, that moves" or
"A designated area of land or water on which a race is held: the course of a marathon" or
"A mode of action or behavior: followed the best course and invested her money" or
"A typical or natural manner of proceeding or developing; customary passage: a fad that ran its course" or
"A systematic or orderly succession; a sequence: a course of medical treatments" or
"A continuous layer of building material, such as brick or tile, on a wall or roof of a building" or
"A part of a meal served as a unit at one time: The first course was a delicious soup" or
"The lowest sail on a mast of a square-rigged ship" or
"A point on the compass, especially the one toward which a vehicle, such as a ship, is moving".)

I'm not sure which definition you'd have considered as the "most common". Most people would have looked at the context in which the word was used, but I now realize the error of my ways in assuming comprehension.

Anyway, the course is the "Intensive English Language Program" at Brock University. Here's an exerpt:

Words with more than one meaning
Sometimes you will see that a word in your dictionary has more than one meaning. If you want to find out
the meaning of a word like that, you have to choose the meaning that is right for the passage.

Remember: the first meaning that the dictionary gives may not be the one you need!

In the exercise below, the words have two or more meanings. Your job is to write the number of
the correct meaning beside each example sentence.

rusty:
1) coated with rust (of a metal)
2) less effective because of disuse or neglect
_____ I used to play tennis a lot but then I stopped for a long time. Now my game is rusty.
_____ There was a rusty nail in the tire of my car.
_____ If you do not paint your bicycle, it will get rusty.
_____ I’m a bit rusty at the moment, but with a little practice I can be very good at skiing.

elegant
1) showing good taste, grace, or good manners
2) fine, excellent, superior quality
_____ The well-dressed woman walked into the room in a very elegant way.
_____ My friend just bought an expensive house in an elegant part of town.
_____ In my opinion a Mercedes is the most elegant kind of car.

bold
1) daring, willing to take risks 3) impudent, not polite
2) fearless, not afraid of danger 4) prominent, clear, easy to see
_____ The bold police officer arrested the armed robber.
_____ I wanted to take a third donut, but I was afraid that I might seem too bold.
_____ When business people see a chance to make a deal, they often must act quickly and boldly.
_____ At the top of the test it said READ ALL THE QUESTIONS FIRST, in bold letters.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Hey, it's not your fault you are literate. Seems as though some people could use an extra English class, or at least a good dictionary. I mean really. To every previous responder: Brother Webster is your friend. Get to know him! LMAO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Also- I think I'm gonna be sick!

MagikKid the literate [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Thanks Hopey!

You have saved many from a fate worse than death! Remaining ignorant! LOL

Magik [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]