Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: does silence mean compliance?

"Best hand" here should be defined as the hand with the larger winning percentage on the river, regardless of who is ahead on the flop.

Should you ever fold the best hand, by this definition? Sure, all the time. My favourite example is on the first hand of a SNG, it folding round to the SB who pushes and shows you AK. You have 22, which is the better hand, but you shouldn't call because your stack is on the line. You can construct similar postflop situations if SB limps as well. There's nothing mysterious about any of this, it's just that when you're deciding whether to call you need to use your ICM $equity rather than your chip equity.

Should you ever fold the nuts? It's possible to construct situations where the nuts isn't the best hand, e.g. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] versus J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's a bit of an academic discussion though because (1) you never know what they have and (2) normally you're getting laid good odds on your money anyway. Your examples are worlds away from any of this and hugely easy pushes.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone gets up in a tizzy and basicly calls me an idiot that should quit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone on this board should quit playing poker, at least on Party.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I purposefully created a hand to get at that what if you knew everything issue that I think was part of lori's original question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Don't make your play based on what your opponent should do, make your play based upon what they will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe Lorina's original post was about some of the mathematical analysis in other recent posts. Much of the analysis, such as putting someone on a range of hands, has to do with your read of the player. When you make that read, do it based on their play, or the likely play for an average player, not their mathematically optimal play. After that you can do the math, but don't get carried away with yourself as you have introduced a lot of innaccuracy.

In a previous post Lorinda had suggested that your innaccuracy just introduces some useful unpredictability into your play anyway.

I don't know if Lorinda will see this buried post, but if you do, how's that?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone on this board should quit playing poker, at least on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna explain this, or are you content to be mysterious?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Playing correctly.

I would probably sprain my shoulder moving the bet bar to all-in. And than break it hitting the wall if he rivered his flush.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM

lol, and thankyou for the last two replies.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:57 AM

"Wanna explain this"

Isn't it obvious??? He wants all the fish to himself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 PM

That was right. As I said once in a previous post:

[ QUOTE ]
(There are three things I'll never do. 1. Start a land war in europe. 2. Trust a sicilian when death is on the line. 3. Use a smiley face in a post or an email. So I'll just have to trust y'all to know when I'm kidding.) [/qoute]

- I know it's not that good a joke, but I should be working so I don't have time to think up another.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Playing correctly.

New to this forum so take my advice for what its worth. I have been playing online for about a year now.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't make your play based on what your opponent should do, make your play based upon what they will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was giving advice to a new online player I would tell them to take this saying, print it out, and then paste it on their monitor.

When being cornered with a supposed "bad beat" story this concept always comes up. The person will state "I can't believe how bad players are online. He called this and that with 3rd pair. He SHOULD have folded. Idiots, they are all idiots."
Respect your opponent. If you know what they are holding you should also know if they are good enough to lay down what they SHOULD(in your opinion) lay down. It all comes back to the fact that you cannot bluff 'bad' opponents.

Oftentimes I have seen calling stations amass huge chip leads in the first rounds of SNG'S because of this. They catch any piece of the flop and they call and call and call anybody who tries to make them fold. If they are not going to fold you cannot make them. Don't be conceited.

paul
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 PM

in my first example- if you double or triple up, it isn't going to help you all that much.

but- since the SB showed 89- he is likely to be called by the button (correctly), and thus put you in 2nd place.

admitedly this is an awkward example, since it would probably never happen. (that was kind of my point though)