Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Damn Cat

[ QUOTE ]
How come all the locals act like you're the devil incarnate if you don't want to do an even split deal when you're ahead on the final table in a tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lived off social security, you would fight for every extra penny too.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: To poker pros: what will you do if internet poker dries up ?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it’s only a matter of time before the games online become legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
But surely it's not illegal now?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Default IMO, bots will kill online poker

if anything does it'll be bots, IMHO, of course.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are discussions of whether or not it's legal in various states in the U.S. Dont worry though, in Sweden the law is very clear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Playing is not illegal. There are a lot of restrictions on the arrangement of games, but never the playing.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: IMO, bots will kill online poker

Cats have a better chance to kill online poker than bots.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:50 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

The analogy of poker fish and real fish is incorrect. Whereas real fish must reproduce to continue survival, poker fish only need to reproduce money. Unless money gets put on the endangered list, there will always be poker fish. Also, not to be too blunt, but most of these new online "pros" can't play a stitch. Only reason they are winning and surviving is the rest of the players suck. Remember, one man's poker pro is another cat's Pounce.

Meow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my fear ! I know poker will never die - its been around for way too long. What I fear is that it will not be profitable enough. I am not such a good player. If the schools dried up I think I would become someone's cat-toy. I try to make an effort to play harder games in order to practice, but at some point raw talent might become the determing factor. The thing with this internet boom is that many "pro's" seem to be assuming long term $100/hr to $200/hr winrates, while I think history has shown that in the BM world only a handful of people can actually perform at that level.

I guess what I really need to know is how hard can online games get to be ? You have played for a long time in the mid limits. Can you tell me how the games compare ? I play the 30 game at stars from time to time (the practice part of the above paragraph - I'm not good at it), so maybe we could use that as a reference. From previous posts I hear that you played the 20 game at Paradise pre-poker boom (circa 2000 ?) How has it changed ? How have BM games changed ? Unfortunately I only play live during the WSOP and my yearly Vegas pilgrimage (as a groupie not a player) so I don'ta hev much experience.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 PM

I'd go back to man whore'n
Old 02-10-2005, 08:11 PM

I think the Asian market opening up to online poker would be AWESOME for us. I'm glad you brought this up.

Also, if online poker were unambigiously legal in the US it would really help keep the fish tank nice and stocked. More commercials, less hurdles to jump through (the average would be fish does not know about Neteller).
Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Back in the day, the games were unbelievably good cause most of the players back then were very inexperienced. There was such a fear and uncertainty surrounding online poker in the early days, it kept the live game pros away. Also, the player base was so much smaller so you only had to get a read on a handful of players.

Since the poker explosion, the player base has grown tremendously. However, along with more fish, the pros started coming in droves.

I think one of THE most interesting phenomenon are all the kids playing now. And I'm talking about specifically the ones from the Magic the Gathering backgrounds and the scandanavians. I would venture to say that many of them, if not all of them, wouldn't be playing poker today if online poker didn't exist.

The B&M games have benefited greatly from the boom. Now all the home game experts are making their way to the card rooms and they may be even worse than what you would see in an online game.

Here's a perfect example as relayed from my friend who deals at the Bellagio. The game is 4/8 limit holdem. Action up to the river is irrelevant. So on the river, this one guy bets and now this lady announces "All in" and shoves in her rack!!! I am not joking. So after my friend kindly lets her know that this is a limit game and she can only raise to 8, she goes "well, I saw them do it on TV". LOL. Granted, this has probably not happened at the 15/30 or 30/60 game but rest assured, they play just as bad there too.

Meow.