Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: 6 max. downswings

I can't see any harm in tightening up.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people this is an improvement lol.

but seriously; if you are a good player and you crush the game, you should NOT adjust your style becuase of:
a)downswings
b)the avoidance of tilt
c)being "cold decked"
d)etc

reasons FOR the adjustment of your game:
a)less/more players
b)change in structure
c)change in opposition
d)improving your game
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people this is an improvement lol.

but seriously; if you are a good player and you crush the game, you should NOT adjust your style becuase of:
a)downswings
b)the avoidance of tilt
c)being "cold decked"
d)etc

reasons FOR the adjustment of your game:
a)less/more players
b)change in structure
c)change in opposition
d)improving your game

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 95% [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree 95% [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

did i mispell something? jk

I understand your point. and playing tighter isnt much of a harm to your game (and quite often is an improvemnt)

My point is basicaly this:
If your game is so good that you crush the opposition, there is NO reason to change it w/o the game itsself changing (ie stacks/blinds/players/etc)

In fact, one trait of a great player is the abbility to adjust to the game. Anyone can make money in SSH playing robot ABC poker. It takes a great experienced player to adjust properly.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then you should have been playing tighter to begin with.

your statement only holds for players who are too loose.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 PM

You have to understand that I'm focusing purely on the psychological aspect here, I do not consider the player's style or much else for that matter, I merely want to say that this can help get a player offtilt for a while, since he will then be exposed to less variance.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to understand that I'm focusing purely on the psychological aspect here, I do not consider the player's style or much else for that matter, I merely want to say that this can help get a player offtilt for a while, since he will then be exposed to less variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

sourbeaver, you are describing tilt itself.

ALTERING YOUR GAME BASED ON VARIENCE OR PSYCHOLOGICAL REASONS IS A FORM OF TILT.

The fact of the matter is, if you are running bad and you change your play becuase of it (ie avoiding varience) YOU ARE ON TILT!!!!

I cannot stress this point enough.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Tilt would be a change in style that affects a player's play negatively. Since there's no way to determine if the player's style is absolutely optimal, we cannot conclude that tightening up worsens the situation, so it is not tilt. The psychological benefit from tightening up (and perhaps even in EV) will outweigh the effect of whatever it is the player will lose by being less loose for a while.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM

This is a good little debate you guys have started here, I understand both your points, but tend to agree with Piz on this one... If you are a winning player and you have a bad run of things, there is no need to change your game based on results alone, if you have a winning style you will start to win again playing "Your" game... How ever if your going through a bad stratch because you notice that they're are call-stations at the table that will call you down with any pair, it could be a good move to stop betting your draws and semi-bluffing on missed flops with AK ect. Therefore you are tightening up to adjust to your opponents rather then because you had a bad beat on the river last time you played a hand aggressively.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since there's no way to determine if the player's style is absolutely optimal, we cannot conclude that tightening up worsens the situation, so it is not tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

????
you seemed to have lost your logic here. My basic style of play IS optimal for me thus far. Tightening up from a bad run of cards will NOT improve my game and is therefore tilt.

[ QUOTE ]
The psychological benefit from tightening up (and perhaps even in EV) will outweigh the effect of whatever it is the player will lose by being less loose for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. If anything it worsens the situation (unless you happen to play too loose to begin with).

To avoid tilt, simply take a break. This is the absolute best way to handle tilt.

To avoid varience, simply never play poker again in your entire life. It is unavoidable, and to try and avoid it IS TILTING.