Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: JJ in Party 109 SNG

There are a LOT of buttons that will raise just about any two cards when faced with a bunch of limpers in front of them, even at the $100 level, though generally, the raise would be for more than 75 if he was just trying to scoop the dead money with trash.

My general line here against an unknown is limp, call the button riase (just like you did), bet out about 150 on the flop, and see what develops. AK and AQ usually feel compelled to call. If my opponent calls, and a non-spade card lower than a jack comes, I'll push the turn. If he's tricky enough to call behind on the flop with a pair higher than mine, he gets all my chips. If I get check-raised on the flop from one of the two stragglers, they'll almost always have a set, and it's an easy fold. If the button pushes over my flop raise, I have to use a little judgment, but I'm folding most of the time.

I also don't think it's the worst play in the world to push preflop when it gets back to you with ~200 dead money in the pot. I think you're ahead here more often than not, and it's almost guaranteed that the two players in the middle fold. Of course there's a chance that you run into a monster on the button still.

This is a very opponent-dependent situation.