Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Default $25 6 Max hand

I have QQ on the Button, I have $35 behind...

Cut off with $60 behind raises $2
I call
SB with $9 behind raises all in...
Table folds to cut off who calls the bet...

What should my action be?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: $25 6 Max hand

Why didn't you reraise preflop?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM

I had just read SS2, in which Doyle advocates just calling preflop raises with QQ and look for a safe flop before becoming aggressive. The original raiser had me covered, so i thought the right move may be to just look for a flop with out an Ace or a King in it and go from there. Not sure if my thinking is right on this, I often times do play ultra aggressively with QQ preflop.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:12 PM

I think calling the $2 on the flop is fine. The $2 is a 4xBB raise which is standard in these games (I think anyway) and re-raising with QQ can get you in trouble especially when the original raiser is deep stacked.

I would lean toward calling the $7 raise (as apposed to re-raising). I would not fold. If the flop looks good (no A or K) and cutoff bets I would move in. If he checks I would bet the pot.

Passion
Old 02-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks,

Thats a great response, I think thats how i should have played it in retrospect...

Instead I reraised All in after the cutoff called the $7 raise from the SB, the Cut off the folded...

Flop came down 7-4-2-
Turn brought a 10 and River an Ace.

SB showed pocket 7's and won the whole pot, I cant help but think I missed an opportunity to win some money in a side pot if I had just called the raise and let the Cut off in the pot...

Also what do people think of min raising preflop when it gets back to me, he has $9 invested already, Im sure he might call an additional $7 to see the flop?

any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 PM

I don't like the min-raise preflop... if you're pushed against you have to fold, if he flat calls it you know nothing more about his hand yet he knows a lot more about your hand, and it doesn't build a good pot.

Raising all-in is probably the worst thing you can do here, as you will only (depending on opponent skill) be called by a hand that you lose to. I'd probably raise it to about 20some and then see what the flop brings.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM

Against most opponents in this game raising all in is correct. His smooth call basically tells you that you have the best hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant help but think I missed an opportunity to win some money in a side pot if I had just called the raise and let the Cut off in the pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented thinking. Smooth calling would be very bad. The pot is big. Win it now.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:57 PM

I don't like the min-raise for a number of reasons. First, what are you going to do if CO moves in? (Call and cross your fingers I suppose). Second, you are making a huge pot (you would have $20 left and the pot would be about $43 if CO just called) in a situation where you might not want to play a huge pot. Now your pretty much committed to see the hand to completion regardless of what flops.

Passion
Old 02-10-2005, 07:49 PM

Personally I like the min-raise preflop idea. Yes, you are committed to seeing the river once you min-raise. But look at the possible holdings for the big stack here:
AK - he would almost certainly push to isolate instead of flat calling so that you fold a small pocket pair.
AQ - you want him in since he only has 3 outs, but he will fold to a flop bet unless he hits a pair and hitting the last Q is less likely than hitting one of the three remaining aces. So letting him see the flop can only get more money out of him if he hits that one card (the last Q) so you want to try to get more money out of him preflop.
QQ - obviously statistically unlikely, and he probably would have pushed preflop, but you can't hurt yourself whatever you do, so no harm in raising.
JJ/TT - you want him in, because he has only 2 outs, but he is likely to fold on the flop unless it is all unders, so try to get more money out of him preflop.

Personally, I think that building a side-pot preflop is a good play here. Pushing will probably only knock out a hand with fewer than three outs, which is not worth it. Trying to build the side-pot is worth it. And if he pushes over your raise, of course you are calling not folding as someone suggested. But this costs you nothing over just pushing yourself.