Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: How do you play TPTK?

Good responses everyone, thank you.

So I bet 1/2 or 2/3. If I get a caller should I make another good sized bet and check the river folding to any raises?

I can't see checking the turn because the opponent would probably think I was trying to steal on the flop, and would bet big on the river even with very modest holdings which I would have a tough time calling with just a pair.

So I guess if I'm being the aggressor and all of a sudden he bets into me or plays back I'm beat always? Unless he's a fish?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now what if he minraises you on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where we get into tough situations. Stack sizes make a difference. Let's say it's party $100, so BB is $2. I raised pf, so let's say pot is $18. I bet 12, he raises to 24. Now if I call, we'll both have $68, and the pot will be $66. If I call here, I know I'm not getting to a showdown without putting in the rest of my stack. So, yeah, I decide on the flop. There aren't many players who would min c/r, then not put the rest in on later streets. And, absent a read, I fold here. Min check/raise to me screams "I have a better hand, and I want you to call." If there were a draw on the board, it might be a semibluff trying to get a free river. But with no draw, it's either a naked bluff, or I'm dead. I'm waiting for a better spot.

[ QUOTE ]
what if he smoothcalls you on the flop then underleads the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is another play that really suggests a good hand. It's a tougher decision, too, because if I call, he'll only have one more street to bet on. Again, it depends on stack sizes and reads. I'd probably call a small turn bet and a small river bet, but I wouldn't feel good about it. If he pushes on the river, I'd fold. This line ends up costing the same as checking behind on the flop, calling a pot bet on the turn, and deciding the river.

[ QUOTE ]
value bets the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a definite call, and is the standard play, like I said in my first post.

Of course, I'd be looser if I'd seen this guy play very aggressively. But I'm content to let him take the first one.

[ QUOTE ]
check, I check. he bets 2/3 or pot, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Suppose the turn and river are blanks. Do you call a push on the river? What if one is a Q or J? I just wonder what your plan is and how you make that decision.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I bet 1/2 or 2/3. If I get a caller should I make another good sized bet and check the river folding to any raises?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, what do you think he's calling with? You're ahead of AQ, you're way behind anything else. Depends on aggression/fishiness of the tables. If you bet the turn, he'll fold AQ and call or raise with better hands. Whereas if you check the turn, he'll often bet the river with any of those hands.

Let's say the pot is $40 after your flop bet. You bet $35 on the turn:
He has AQ: he folds, you win 40.
He has you beat: he calls or raises, you fold to a river bet or lose the showdown: you lose 35.
You check the turn, he bets 40 on the river:
He has AQ: you win 80.
He has you beat: you lose 40.

Therefore, check the turn.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Im not sure I like checking the flop Here, Lets say you hold AK, and flop comes K-7-2, unfortunately ur opponent holds pocket 2's for a set and checks it to you, u also check trying to induce a bluff...

He bets out the turn hard, and you thinking he's bluffing either call or raise having no idea what he may have, would it not be better to Bet the flop and represent the K and then see how he reacts rather then checking and gaining no information about what your up against?

I think the more times you win with TPTK on the flop the better, if you let the hand get to the turn and river your asking for trouble.