Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 12:37 AM

Default JJ in Party 109 SNG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

SB (t1085)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t945)
UTG+2 (t960)
MP1 (t890)
MP2 (t1000)
Hero (t975)
CO (t1020)
Button (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t75</font>, SB calls t65, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t60, Hero calls t60.

Flop: (t312.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t200</font>, SB folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t512.50

What is everyone else's general line here? I can't make any raise without becoming commited, am not sure I am even ahead, can't really call, raising gets me called only by better hands ... is fold the only option against an unknown?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: JJ in Party 109 SNG

I think this is right. The other option is to call on the flop. That will look pretty scary to Villain, although he may conclude you are on a draw and go ahead and bet allin on the turn, with AK or whatever.

Check call is a line I like sometimes, but here you have to call a pretty large bet and I'm not sure it will slow Villain down on the turn if you're winning.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:22 AM

I've been treating JJ like any small pair. Limping and folding to any raise over 3 bb's. I just have trouble playing them post flop, so I just let em go without a second thought on the first two rounds.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 AM

Funny what a difference JJ is compared to QQ here. I think JJ is marginal based on your chances of getting called down with worse vs. the chances of losing your whole stack vs. the chance of getting a fold. So in the first two rounds, it just isn't worth it unless you know the other player plays a lot of lower pairs like this (which some 109's do, and will even go all in with on your raise). But if I had QQ, I'd call without a doubt because then he could be betting with a lot of pocket pairs lower than yours, so I think you can beat a lot of calls and it's plus EV.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:54 AM

calling 200 will leave you with t700... still playable.
If he's betting AK, he'll likely slowdown the turn. If he's betting QQ-AA, he'll likely keep betting. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 AM

I tend to avoid tough decisions which is why I don't call the pre-flop raise with JJ.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM

IMO, its a huge mistake not to bet the flop. how can you check with no overcards, a flush draw, and possible straight draw? if thats how you play JJ on those "good" flops you might as well fold JJ preflop. now the button might be betting a flush draw, top pair, PP lower than JJ or just trying to pick up the pot with crap, after everybody checked.
if you would bet and button would reraise that would be a different story. I think folding would be best for all the reasoned mentioned.
by the way, I dont think button would cold call pre flop with pocket pair higher than JJ - he would want to limit the field and get value for his hand.
checking here cost you the pot - most likely you folded the best hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM

If your plan to to check/fold your overpair on the flop the whole time, then you should have never called the initial raise.

You could have done one of two things and been much more comfortable about your fold:

1) Limp re-raise pre-flop and fold to the re-re.

2) Make a 3/4 pot bet on the flop and fold to the raise.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 AM

I didnt notice the button was the raiser. still if you called his raise pre flop you must bet the flop.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 AM

i'm a $22 player so maybe these play differently but lately i've been playing JJ more like it's the fourth best starting hand in holdem and not like a small pair. I'm raising everytime preflop to isolate the limper and clear out the weak Aces and Kings. With a few limpers in ahead of me I'll usually just call.

Given the way you played it you must bet out on the flop and be ready to fold to the re-raise. I make a 1/2 pot bet with no flush draws and a 3/4 to pot-sized bet with two of a suit. The button's play is also consistent with a steal attempt against limpers preflop and when checked to on a semi-ragged board, or even AK. Depending on what villians earlier play has been like I'm often willing to get all my chips in with an overpair...but maybe that's why I don't win as much as I should.

-Jeff