Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Results

Not sure what the standard deviation numbers mean... but yeah. Expect huge swings. If you (and your bankroll) can stomach them, you're going to have a ton of fun.

TrailofTears, you quoted part of my post and commented on it (re position). Read the whole paragraph, and it will make sense to you. My point is, assuming the raiser bets the flop, Hero is last to act. Therefore he has position. (Btw, the "make-life-simpler" comment was aimed at Passion.) Regarding trash... some trash is worse than others. 57s has alot more draws than 28o, and is much more likely to hit the flop. This line of play is almost straight out of Super/System, Tears...

For everyone freaking out about how loose OP is playing preflop, the idea is to create action. When he's raising all-in with draws, etc., there are two effects: it makes him MUCH harder to play against, which in shorthanded is huge, and it creates a LOT of action. As long as you don't outplay yourself, you can win... just takes alot of concentration and feel. I'm not convinced this line of play works, especially with no-ante online games. I think you need more dead money in pots to justify this type of play. I play kind of a scaled back version of this, basically doing alot of the same moves, just much less often. But then maybe I'm just a wuss. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM

No, he doesn't. Sorry.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 PM

What I've been trying to say--very badly, I guess--is that he was making a play. And making a play with a semidraw and so he had outs, if he was called. What makes the play questionable is the presence of the flush draw.

But it is not a question of overplaying a hand. It is one of the best way to win this pot no matter what two cards he has in the hole.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm here to learn, so if you can poke holes in my explanation of relative position, please do so. From your comments it doesn't seem like you read it completely, if at all. (By the way, this is not my idea. C+R discuss this explicitly.)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM

Well, for starters, I posted prior to you making your edits, so I can't be blamed for not reading something that wasn't there for me to read [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I understand what you are saying, but you can't just redefine position to mean something else. He is in position for a C/R, yes, but not "in position" to the general meaning of the word.

Second, I understand about playing lag (or sLAG as someone dubbed smart-LAG). However, "creating action" with crap hands will create bankruptcy. Raising all-in with draws is not smart unless your draw makes you a favorite to win the hand, or the villain has shown a propensity to lay down to aggression. Also, a C/R that is less than a min-raise is not creating any fold equity, and is thus a wasted move. If hero thought his hand was best here, he should just bet the turn. If he wanted to make a C/R, the flop is the place to do that where he has a lot of fold equity.

And for the record, we are all here to learn, myself no less than anyone else. I appreciate the discussion NC.

- Trail
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If hero thought his hand was best here, he should just bet the turn. If he wanted to make a C/R, the flop is the place to do that where he has a lot of fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree... exactly my line. C/R the flop if you put him on overs. Believe it or not, I agree with you about your statement about creating action. I think you can pull off all-ins like that occasionally, but a tight or tricky image really helps. It is definitely something that you can do too much, and the math bears it out. Certainly playing against other LAGs, bluffers, and short stacks would help this strategy.

Thanks for the explanation... very nice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]