Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Best Game on Internet and Interesting Foxwoods Trip

I rarely post, but read this forum daily. Any thoughts/observations are appreciated.

On a business trip, I played at Foxwoods for the first time in the $5/$10 and $10/$20 Stud Hi games. Surprisingly, the games were very soft. Since my regular game is the $1/$2 at Pokerstars, I think it is interesting that they played very similar in terms of quality of players (I know the structure is the same). The session could have been an anomaly, but am interested in feedback on this. There were a couple of decent players, but the game was beatable for a serious player.

My question is:

1. Opinion of quality of play in the $1/$2 at Stars? Do you see a step up in play $2/$4, $3/$6?
2. What is the softest Stud game on the Net? I saw reference to Empire's 3/6 last week, but have been shying away from Party/Empire due to the crapshoot ante structure. Notwithstanding, it may be worth a try

thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Best Game on Internet and Interesting Foxwoods Trip

On my most recent trip to Foxwoods, I played $20/40 stud, and it was a very soft game. There were a couple of half-decent players, but only a couple, and they weren't anything to worry about. I don't think I've played any high-only stud on Stars, but I would say that the $20/40 stud game at Foxwoods plays more or less like the $3/6 stud/8 game I've played in a little bit on Stars. Both easy games, and I blew in both.

I don't think that $3/6 stud with a $.50 ante and $1 force is a crapshoot. I think that's the ideal structure for stud, actually.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that $3/6 stud with a $.50 ante and $1 force is a crapshoot. I think that's the ideal structure for stud, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they were referring to the $0.50/$1 game with a $0.25 ante and a $0.25 bring-in. That structure really IS a crapshoot. Or maybe the $1/$2 game, but I'm not entirely sure what the structure in that game is since I skipped it.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 AM

I've never played on Stars, so I can't say anything there, but I've played up to 10/20 on Party/Empire and those games are decent probably beatable by any good solid 2+2er.

the 3/6 and 5/10 games are very soft there, softer than their hold'em counterparts, IMO. and the ante structre isn't bad at all once you get to 3/6 if thats what you were worried about.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I meant the $1/$2 ante structure on Party with a $0.25 ante being more of a crapshoot since the ante is 25% of the completed bet on 4th. I agree with Andy B that the ante structure at $3/$6 strikes a nice balance and am interested in that game, but wanted feedback from my fellow 2+2ers prior to a switch.

Andy, do you feel that 7/8 has a higher EV on the Net? You mentioned this earlier in the week and am interested in your experiencel.

Andy,
Old 02-09-2005, 12:12 PM

The 3/6 game on party is an unbeatable game. At any table you sit down at there will be 4-5 sharks and 2-3 rocks. Maybe one weak player if you are extremely lucky. This game sees very few winners, most players are done in by the rake. I wouldn't touch this game with someone elses chips.

The 10/20 at the Chesterfield is a much softer game.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 PM

I haven't played enough high-only stud on the net to judge whether stud or stud/8 is the more profitable game. Stars' $1/2 stud/8 game seems to have more than its share of "experts," though.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:07 AM

Location: NorthWest US - the part of it where there\'s no card clubs.

I had the same experience when I played some stud $5/10 at Foxwoods when I was in the New England area for work related reasons this past September. I think the $1/2 on PS is more passive. The $5/10 at Foxwoods has some gamblers who play fast now and then. More like the Party $3/6 I think. The biggest difference I personally saw between those Foxwood games and the internet was the pace of the game. Foxwoods was way too slow for me.

I've been playing more $2/4 on PS recently. Either I'm getting better or they're getting worse or maybe I'm just running better. A couple months ago they seemed to be tougher and I had a hard time beating it. There's some players in that $2/4 game who are aggresive and are check raise fanatics but play too many hands. But then there are a few others who really do know what they are doing. But still it's more beatable than the $3/6 on Party.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:27 AM

I'm not buying this, but I have no first hand experience.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm about 90% certain you are being sarcastic and just don't want any other decent players to show up, am I right? Party's 3/6 stud game is an aquarium. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]