Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Default weird play on the turn

i dont know why i did it, it felt very wrong afterwards.. what do you all think of this? i have no reads.. new to the table, he has been playing like a regular 25 nl player..

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, .50$ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($8.75)
Hero ($23.5)
MP ($80.1)
Button ($15.3)
SB ($7.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, Button calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, MP calls $9, Button folds.

Turn: ($27.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $6</font>,<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises all in</font> MP calls $5.50.

River: ($39.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $39.25
Old 02-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: weird play on the turn

I think the play is fine. If he drew without pot odds, then fine, you have a redraw.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 PM

This is a wierd play. I think it was nothing more than a ploy. Maybe the player thought you put him on a flush draw. When you checked on the turn he decided to attack. When you called, he was stuck. I also think, however, that maybe the player made a straight or a flush. I think your play on the river was correct. Nomatter what, you were stuck when you went all in out of position. Simple math would tell you that the other player had to call. Before you raised all-in, the pot was 33.75. For him to call a bet of 5.50 more was laying him 6.5 to 1 pot odds. Even if he had middle pair or a small straight, this player had to call. Protect against flushes and straights by making bigger bets on the flop. Make the other player pay to see the next card. A bigger bet might would have scared him away and prevented a possible straight or flush.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:18 PM

You do not have to overbet the pot, certainly not heads up. You just have to lay incorrect odds to draw. Then you hope he calls. If he draws with incorrect odds (assuming you won't pay him off too big - which you really can't given your short stack here) then you are making money. The turn play is fine, too, I think. When you check, he is very likely to bet. But you have a good draw and you may very well still be ahead and you are short stacked so I like the check/raise. You are already pot committed since you may very well have the best hand so you can't check/fold and you don't have more than one bet left, so I like the check/raise.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Results

i felt a little odd about my turn play, i checked hoping it would get checked through as i was not too happy with the board being full of draws and hands that my opponent (unknown) could conceivably have, i.e. KQ, KT, QT etc.. but his bet struck me as odd for some reason and if im calling im going all in i figured so i just pushed.. turns out he had TJo and i immediately made some notes on him. does anyone not like the flop bet? should i have just folded?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone not like the flop bet? should i have just folded?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke? You are going to check/fold a Kxx flop with AK? I think you played it very well.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 PM

to clarify, i meant fold the turn.. like should i have kept the pot small, say by half potting it, then folded to turn aggression? or maybe push the turn there and hope for a fold? or bet the turn and call a raise?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:58 PM

A half pot bet here would put you all in....
Old 02-09-2005, 09:02 PM

Just push the turn.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:05 PM

im very bad at explaining myself.. i meant half pot the flop to keep the pot smaller...