Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Weird hand with a small dose of strategy

no, it needs to be well hidden in the fine print. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 04:56 PM

I would at least consider completing on third street, although if the game is at all tight, it would be a shame to kill your action with such a strong hand.

Checking fourth street is bad. It looks natural to bet, and you definitely want some money to go into the pot. Checking fifth is absolutely criminal. You were waiting for the expensive streets, and here you are. You're asking to get run down. The rest of the hand is a no-brainer, but geez. And look at the results, you've got another guy slow-playing his trips into oblivion too. You think maybe if you had bet he might have raised you along the way? You left money on the table; no two ways about it.

Couldn't the guy with the Jacks have had a pair and hit trips on the river? If the guy with the straight could have shuffled his cards, I assume the guy with the Jacks could have too.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....but on the other hand how often do you turn rolled trips into quads?

[/ QUOTE ]
Last night in a $4/8 game, I did precisely that twice in a space of about five hands.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 PM

Yes, this one of those "can't believe I did it hands". Given how tight this table was, I am still OK with just calling third. I'm pretty sure the guy had rolled jacks - he claimed he did and I tend to believe him. The e-mailed hand history showed him rolled, but I will never know for sure.

If I had bet fourth or fifth, he would have very likely raised and we would have been off to the races. Point taken. The strange thing is that there were two of us doing the same dumb thing. No excuse, but just an observation - I doubt very much that the rolled jacks would have raised me on 7'th if I had bet fifth, considering the ace that showed up on 6'th. Dumb luck, but it probably earned back at least some of the money that I likely threw away on fourth and fifth. Nevertheless, if there was a poker jail, I would probably be sitting in it right now, given the criminal play on fifth.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 PM

so much missed money in this hand it's not even funny [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] definetly bet by 5th st. - everybody with any sort of draw is going to call you - and you are extremely lucky to win this hand with that many people in there - it had to be sweet rolling over quads but it was sure dangerous