Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Default good or bad bluff with position?

Just sat down and don't normally even call flop bet but have been running well and with the river weakness went for the bluff......
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($7.40)
UTG+1 ($10)
MP1 ($13.25)
MP2 ($24.15)
MP3 ($10)
Hero ($25)
Button ($12.20)
SB ($26.10)
BB ($12.60)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 (poster) checks, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.75</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, SB calls $0.75.

Turn: ($5.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.75, MP2 folds.

River: ($8.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: $8.50 Converter or I left out checked to me and I bet $7.50
Old 02-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: good or bad bluff with position?

A good bluff, yes.

A profitable bluff at these levels, no.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:55 PM

I agree but it is hard to concentrate on your reply with all that dancing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 06:13 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 PM

I think it would be a better bluff heads up. I think with 4 people in the pot, there's a decent chance someone else actually has the flush draw. (though there lack of betting is suspect)

Though if its checked to you, there's a good chance you have it unless you're a known bluffer and they're certain you'll bet. (to check to you would be throwing away money, in my book, but that doesn't mean others think that way.)

There's an odd phenomenon you may want to try... Depending on the player/table... overbets are sometimes seen as a bluffs, while a reasonable bet is seen as a made hand. I think if you were to bluff at the pot, at these boards, you could have bet 2-3 dollars and had the same likelihood of winning it (especially since all the bets up to now have been $3).

People may yell at me for suggesting betting less... but at these tables, there are people who will fold to a preflop bet of 4x the bb but will call someone's all-in bet with the exact same hand. I don't understand it, but I see it.

When I have the nuts, I have people making overbet bluffs to me all the time and I laugh as they bet into me. So I always look at overbets suspiciously (depending on the player of course)

I hope it worked out for you.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's an odd phenomenon you may want to try... Depending on the player/table... overbets are sometimes seen as a bluffs, while a reasonable bet is seen as a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too. Another piece of weirdness is when someone is relatively short stacked and goes all-in pre-flop. People act as if it's a tourney and the guy's about to be blinded out and call, call, call. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]