Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Negativity, anger, etc. in poker. I have a major problem.

Since you don't get angry at friends, try chatting with the online players, get to know them a bit. This can be possible at some of the smaller sites with regular players. Not only do you get to personalize the people you are playing with, you can discover more about how they play, which as they say in these forums, is +EV. I know that some suggest turning the chat feature off, but chatting has always provided another distraction which keeps me from playing too loose.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Question

Do you get angry when playing live also, or only during online play
Old 02-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Having read your posts as Lansing and CinnamonWind, and now TheMatador, it is clear than you have serious psychological issues in life, especially in respect to poker. It is a good sign that you are acknowledging (a small part of) your problem. Hope you can turn things around.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having read your posts as Lansing and CinnamonWind, and now TheMatador, it is clear than you have serious psychological issues in life, especially in respect to poker. It is a good sign that you are acknowledging (a small part of) your problem. Hope you can turn things around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not any of those people. I would appreciate it if this nonsense would stop now. Perhaps an IP check or something, but this is really becoming ridiculous.

I have no psychological problems in any area of my life, your condescending post is unhelpful and unwelcome.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Matador,

I am guessing they have been keeping track of the two other people that have disagreed with the majority opinion. And since it is impossible that there could really be more than one, it must be that you are the same person. Keep up the good, and thought provoking, posts.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not any of those people. I would appreciate it if this nonsense would stop now. Perhaps an IP check or something, but this is really becoming ridiculous.

I have no psychological problems in any area of my life, your condescending post is unhelpful and unwelcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Habitual lying (badly btw) is a psyschological problem in all areas of life.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Negativity, anger, etc. in poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Life is too short to get angry over a GAME.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make poker sound like it's 'just a game,' like "Hide and Go Seek" is just a game. Well it isn't, poker involves hard earned cash.

I really dislike it when people de-emphasize the significance of something in an attempt to make a point. I used to play daily tournaments at the Bike, and there was a semi-famous drunk (famous for being a drunk) who would often go ballistic when things weren't going his way. But when things WERE going his way, and somebody at his table would get pissed off over a bad beat, he'd routinely (and loudly) announce, "Hey, what's wrong with you? It's only a ten-dollar tournament! IT'S ONLY A TEN-DOLLAR TOURNAMENT!" Implying of course how petty it is to get upset over nothing. Well these tournaments don't only cost ten dollars. In fact, with multiple re-buys and a double add-on, they can typically cost $60 to $100+ per event. And if you play every day, like so many do, this can add up. Especially for those who haven't made a final table in a few weeks.

I know there are those who might respond with some cliché like, "If the money you use to play poker means anything more to you than monopoly money, then you really shouldn't be playing poker." Well, even though this might be some ideal to strive for, it's a distortion of reality that few (if any) can truly achieve.

-dsm