Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2002, 01:07 PM

Default KK vs. BB could use some guidance

I'm holding around $1k in tournament chips and the big blind has around 800, NL tourney. Preflop: two people limp in, I raise 4 times the big blind to $240. The big blind calls and the two limpers fold. On the flop comes 3, 6, 10 rainbow. The big blind comes out betting $150 leaving him with $470 chips in his stack. I raise him all in and he calls. Of course, he's holding pocket 10's and I'm severely short stacked.

I've encountered this problem before with KK and could use some help on playing this hand.

1) Should I raise more preflop to protect my kings?
2) On the flop, should I have simply folded after he bet first?
3) Or, instead of pushing him all in should I raise to say $300, which would have left me with $400 in chips? Then I can see what he does next. But what do I do if he then re-raises me all in? My one concern after seeing a flop lke this is that I might fold the best hand against someone who is bluffing or betting strongly with top pair, top kicker.

Perhaps I need to readjust what I would call with if I were in the big blind (I would have let the 10's go in the BB). Since I would have folded 10's and under, I'm not thinking someone else may have called with them.

Obviously I need to consider giving my opponent more credit for making a set on the flop. Also, knowing my opponent's play would also have to be a consideration (but in this case, I had no information on the player).

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I heard an almost identical story from someone who played this year's FARGO, except the BB bet all in on a 9 high flop and the person with the pocket kings called.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Re: KK vs. BB could use some guidance

If I was the BB I would put you on a range of hands. Some I could beat and some I couldn't. That said with $180 to call and $450 already in the pot his call is perfectly acceptable. A raise of 3 to 4 times the pot may have prevented this call by the BB. After the flop I do not see how you can get away from the hand.

Jimbo
Old 11-12-2002, 12:22 PM

Default Thanks, Jimbo (n/m)