Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Hand

Ok, I've played in NL and PL games just like this one as well. Raising 12x BB with AA and getting 2 or more callers is definitely not uncommon.

The only thing I would do differently is overbet the pot on the flop here with the possible draws on that board if I know they are going to chase down like that discarding all pot-odd and implied possibilities.

Tough beat on the river, but such is the price to pay for such a great game for which you will definitely make your money back and more.

Lawrence
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM

"He then proceeds to tell me that the reason why he won was because he had a seven and that being that on the turn he bet 125.00 there he alleviates the pressure on himself"

Ummmm. I understand why he bet the turn, and aside from the super-loose preflop call I dont think he played it badly (he think he's got 14 outs when you move in on him, so he's sort of potstuck himself and youve really got him in a bad spot). The reason he won, of course, is that he hit one of his 8 outs and God hates you. Mostly the 2nd part though.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to say this but supposedly this guy is like the best guy in this club and I am now so heartbroken I don't even want to play anymore. After I saw this garbage by the "best player in the house" I don't even know anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Added to this:

[ QUOTE ]
I have learned to stomache losses very well as I do understand the law of large numbers and those who chase will be paid sometimes but those who charge them will be paid more of the time and the sort of unspoken rule of the statistical law of large numbers that the better players will get their best profit from their better opportunities/cards just as they will minimize their losses with their losing opportunities/cards.
Situations such as these I can stomache as I have learned to stomache losses and the swings like a champ haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is inconsistent.

BTW, if $300 forces you to play short in this game, you don't have close to the roll for it. I would say for live 1-2 with a "big pot" style you need at least $1500 if not more.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: About the PFR and more...

[ QUOTE ]
Pretend you've never read this hand.

Take the following reads I've made (hopefully I'm not a complete donkey) thus far just via reading the hand:

1. The OP is playing solid poker
2. The OP is not getting out of line
3. The OP is playing with money that matters a lot to him and thus might be playing scared or weak/tight
4. The OP is not making fancy plays and is not pushing every bit of EV out of every hand, thus his hand range on the PFR is very very well defined
5. The OP is a newer player

note: I'm not saying that any of the above are bad.

Now play the hand out in your mind. make it 78[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] if you think the PF call is thin or whatever (if the above are true, especially #3, I think it's fine given stack sizes)

He comes in UTG big, then weakies the flop letting you draw cheacp and you pick up what looks like 13 outs on the turn.

You're running hot and reading well, you make a read and put heat on a hand that's either really really strong or really really shaky.

you're pretty sure he can't take it.

oops

He ends up being stronger than you think and he forces you to make what you think is a plus EV call with the worst hand. you get lucky and take a pot on a ~1/4 shot off what is probably the best player other than you at the table, the one guy who is rocky and paying you very little while you rake in $200 buyins like dried leaves from the rest of the donkeys who are there to gamble. Not to mention you take what may or may not be his only buyin, meaning he'd have to have a good reason to keep playing, even if he does have 2 more 100's in his pocket.

Do you give the guy sound strategy advice?

Do you tell the guy that you've been exploiting the fact that he's been playing scared the whole night and that you were just making a move you thought was right at the time?

Do you say something conciliatory or do you want this guy gone?

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying its certainly logical that a very good player, who just made a bad read and subsequent bad move is using it for the maximum amount of advertising and to get rid of another player who is taking money off the table. Hey, everyone gets to suckout sometimes, right? Again, I'm not condoning anything, just hoping to provide an alternative avenue to explain it.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Fimbul, this forum will miss ya.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:01 PM

My roll can definitely withstand this game, unfortunately I am a college student who hates workign a 9 to 5 like a slum for 8 to 10 bucks an hour. I feel like worm and I hate going to rounders and all that but I really hate the idea of sitting around or getting barked at by some 110 iq clown telling ME what to do because he pays me .17 cents a minute or so. So yes as I am completing my degree I use some of my roll to pay some bills here and there so I am very stingy with it to a degree. I do have a great indifference to the money in that I know I must put it in play to build it but yes I posted a hand and bitched like I had a tight roll, I have at least 20 times the big buy in to this game.
And you MR FIMBUL, I love your posts what can I say. I misinterpreted you at first and thought you were on a bash and didn't see my view of all of it and I didn't see where you were coming from so I apologize for the miscommunicato.
On a sidenote, of course my girlfriend is so angry I burnt up the money and thinks I should stop playing and just "quit while I am ahead". So that is a pain in the f'n ass as it is very hard for me to explain to her that I can beat this game.
Fim I do see the genius in his play. I say he just had a fluke stroke of brilliance, you may say otherwise, only time will tell from sitting at the tables with him and watching.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Point taken.

I apologize OP: I remember how bad it sucked the first time I lost a pot that had big money in it to a beat. Your BR will grow to the point where it wont even make you blink, just give it time.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he a sweetie? hahha. Thank you fim. I know this is rather belated but the funny aspect about being on his side of the hand and mine is that in this situation few to no mistakes were made on this hand and that is an unfortunate aspect to being on the receiving end of the beat in a large pot. Oh well, I do beleive that as I progress and study more and play play play of course my roll will grow to large amounts and I will be the one making the good play for EV that he did but will have not just a decent read but a great read haha. Thank you FIMBUL for stimulating my synapses.