Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Afraid of Capping--A LAG Encounter

Villain sat down only a few hands before this one. I had only seen a few hands and they were solid, but he seemed to push even the thinnest of edges.

Other than comments on all streets, I have the following specific questions:

1) What about my 3-bet preflop?
2) On flop I put UTG on AK, AQ, etc. or Ax clubs. Is this good?
3) Should I be capping the turn and river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Afraid of Capping--A LAG Encounter

when you really analyze this hand, you will realize why yuou must cap, and its not close.

With the SB calling it cold, all of the hands you beat would have capped it preflop. If he seems solid theres *no* way he can have AA or KK and not cap it preflop 3 ways.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 AM

If he has AA, he probably caps preflop. If he has KK, he probably doesn't 3bet the flop. The only reason I can see for not capping the turn is to cap the river. However, since you capped the flop and he 3 bet the turn, that's not valid. So cap the turn, and keep putting bets in until the software gets mad at you.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 AM

The pf raise is okay if you have a read that he is a sufficiently loose raiser, otherwise it's kind of questionable.

It's never good to put someone on a very tight range of hands - you have to admit different possibilities... as another poster mentioned, AA and KK become highly unlikely because he did not cap for value preflop.

Taken in a vacuum, his pfr indicates either: a pocket pair likely above 55 or 66, any 2 broadway cards, possibly some random suited connectors, and AK-Axs.

Once he 3-bets the flop, certain holdings become more or less likely. pocket pairs that aren't a set become less likely, and something like 9T-KQs(clubs) would be more likely.

Also, any decent ace is a possibility. He likely does not have Axs of clubs, as the ace of clubs is on the board. AK with the K clubs seems reasonbale.

The turn has either improved him, or he is on a very strong hand already. Either way, cap for value, as there are very few hands he could possibly hold that are ahead of you.

On the river, if he bets into you again, I raise and cap if given the opportunity, for the same reasons as the turn.

Surf
Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 AM

"theres *no* way he can have AA or KK and not cap it preflop 3 ways."

Okay, so there's no way YOU could have AA.

-Michael
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM

To me, his preflop and flop action indicate he has an ace in his hand.

Before the flop it looks like he has a big pair or big ace, but some of these guys get a bit out of line with KQ-type hands too, so who knows? When he wants to put three bets in on the flop, it's almost certain he's holding an ace, unless he has two sevens, in which case we're golden.

The turn action could very easily be AK. I say cap it here and see if he leads into you again. If so, I would still raise but might not cap the river.

Ah, hell with it, I cap the river too, precisely because it's a cap: if he could 5-bet it wouldn't be so attractive, but he will definitely call with whatever he has and I think he has you beat less than 50% here.

Preflop three-bet is fine by the way, but perhaps less fine if you're not going to cap the turn in hands like this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guy.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 PM

I should add that I am not going to take it as read that he doesn't have AA preflop just because he didn't cap. Not raising/reraising/capping with AA preflop is in vogue on Party $5/10 at the moment.

Example from three minutes ago:

I am BB with JJ. CO limps, SB folds, I raise, CO calls. Flop is ten high, I bet, he calls. Turn is a rag, I bet, he calls. River K, I bet, he calls and shows AA.

Guy.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM

right

but if the villain truly "pushes the thinnest of edges" then he can't have AA either.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:42 PM

1) yes looks good, unless utg is known as real tight pf

2) range of hands is too narrow these are probably on the higher end of his likely holdings.

3)yes you should be capping turn. this may effect villains river agression. if he 3bets your river raise (after capping turn), i would probably just call. i would be pretty surprised to see an AA or KK or straight here.